Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good source for new rockers? I'm replacing my ZTW b/c the unibody is folding in half. I WILL BUY ANOTHER FOCUS IF IT SLAYS ME! Trouble is, I'm in the rust belt and all the 00'-03 Zetecs usually have questionable rockers.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check rockauto.com they had them as of last year, I think at about just under $100 for each side for the ZX3, I don't know about the wagon but it's a great place to start!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Wagons are the same as all other Foci so your good there. However, if your car is actually folding, new rocker panels aren't going to help you much. The rocker panels are the part you can see but behind that, the rest of the body in front of the rear wheels is going and there's not much you can do about that. All new rocker panels really do is make the car look better and hide how bad the rust is, but the rust will continue to eat the car away from deeper inside.

I'd suggest taking an easier and cheaper route and buy yourself some side skirts to hide the lack of rocker panels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I retired my 2002 ZTW due to rocker rust. But, I did find a clean 2003 ZTW (same color) there is a little surface rust, but still in the treatable stage. The first one was so bad that the car could only be raised if a shop put the lift points way inboard as the regular jack point would just crumble. I was going to weld on some bar metal but I could not find a strong point to start. Check the innner rockers as the rust out and to repair that you need to pull the seats and carpet so they don't burn. I was going to do the skirt covers but that is just a very temporary fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. 02FordSVT, my current ZTW is hopelessly rotting. What I'm looking at is buying a Mk1 or Zetec wagon to replace the ZTW, but it's hard to find one that doesn't have rocker panel damage. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, you are in the buckle of the rust belt. I have considered making a drive to find a focus that wasn't too severely oxidized.

I am in the CT. Will be in MD for a week late next month. Is that far enough south to have a good supply of rust free foci?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news. Just won a 2001 zetec wagon on ebay! Very excited. ITS Outside of DC. can't believe how clean it is. I'll post pix if I can.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i need to get under mine and remedy the rust that is starting before it get unslavagable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts