Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states... what is the state law on having a motor vehicle set up with nitrous oxide?

i did some research and have not found anything...

I thought the commen rule is you can have it just not opened... is that correct wrong, what about remote bottle openers?

any help would be nice!

Thanks
Zack

·
Registered
789 Posts
i think it is the same in most states if i'm not mistaken, that while on any state road, to include anything from a dirt road to the interstates, you can't have the bottle open and if you have a remote opener the bottle must be closed with the remote unplugged.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
That's kinda weak. The bottle opener even has to be unplugged?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Check www.enjoythedrive.com

I believe that lists most if not all of the laws in effect now concerning aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i did a search on there website and have not found anything for ILLINOIS... now ive seen a few laws for nitruos for different states and there all different...

some state that you can only have the bottle in the car on the way to and from a race track

others say just having the set up for nitrus and the bottle doesnt even need to be in the car is illegal

some are little easier and say that you can have it just cant be opened

so there's two many damn laws... and cant find one damn thing on IL[???:)]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Man.... Paul Walker and Vin Diesel must be PISSED.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, having looked in all the places I could think of, save one, there doesn't appear to be a nitrous law on the books for Illinois. HOWEVER, best bet, as always, ASK THE POLICE. As much as you may not like it, call the local PD and ask them if there is a law pertaining to usage of/possession of nitrous in the car. Ask them the article code it falls under and what section of Illinois law it is in. That way they can't just bullshit you. Or, if you don't feel like calling the PD, call a automotive lawyer. Best places to find out stuff is these two sources.

·
Registered
696 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Man.... Paul Walker and Vin Diesel must be PISSED.

Yeah, but Vin had it badass with the tanks IN the seat. That was cold, totally hidden and the switch was the hazard lights button???? HAWTNESS!

[:D]

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tdkaye1 said:
Well, having looked in all the places I could think of, save one, there doesn't appear to be a nitrous law on the books for Illinois. HOWEVER, best bet, as always, ASK THE POLICE. As much as you may not like it, call the local PD and ask them if there is a law pertaining to usage of/possession of nitrous in the car. Ask them the article code it falls under and what section of Illinois law it is in. That way they can't just BS you. Or, if you don't feel like calling the PD, call a automotive lawyer. Best places to find out stuff is these two sources.

great suggestions... i never thought about doing that so ill do some research and talking and ill let everyone know what i find

·
Registered
789 Posts
gottaride28 said:
others say just having the set up for nitrus and the bottle doesnt even need to be in the car is illegal

[???:)]
true, but they can't make you pop your hood without having probable cause or a search warrant so if you get pulled over in a state with this law and the cop tells you to pop your hood, politely refuse and ask his/her reasoning. if they say anything that doesn't pertain to modifications, you don't have to. "your car just looks fast" or "you looked like you were racing" are not good reasons for probale cause; POLITELY refuse and if he calls it in ask for proof of the authority to make you, i.e. over his radio or phone. now on the other hand if you have a bottle that is in plain sight, that is probable cause and you have to do what he says. all in all just use good judgement, hide the bottle and be courteous to the cops, as hard as it is sometimes. and if something doesn't seem right about what he is asking you ask for justification.

·
Registered
696 Posts
He would actually need a warrant for that. Oh, and the ONLY one that can make a judgement, on what would really be legal/illegal on the car (save lights/things that make alot of noise or can distract the general public/other drivers) would be a CARB inspector. But the the cop has to sit there and wait for one to be located and an assortment of other bullshit, namely paperwork which traffic cops love. You can really refuse ANY search on your car, but the cop will generally become an ass and try to intimidate you. Get a name and badge number if that happens.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Mann.. Just don't have NAAAAWWWWSSSS in FIB-town... hehe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i heard it can be hooked up, but can't be used. that may not be correct though.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright so i stoped in at the carol stream police department to ask my question about nitrous.... (town i live in)

so when i asked the first guy with out hesitation the police officer remark was its illegal you cant use it

so i asked him ok well just for my own personal information can you please site the law so i can have it in writing and now the exact deff. on the law.

so he runs and gets this MASSIVE book that said 2006 on it that had all automotive laws.... So about after 15-20mins and 4 different officers... a chief comes to me and says there's no IL law on HAVING OR USING nitrous in an automobile... but that doesnt mean you can speed. My reply to that was obviously i know i cant speed but there's no IL law... answer was no i cant find anything.

after that i kinda grind at the first guy that was helping me (cough lier) and then at the chief and said thanks for your help.

so the first guy was some desk guy that i guess didnt know what he was talking about

the second person over heard the conversation and saw the first guy looking through that big book of laws, picked up a second book and was trying to find something and couldnt

then they got a chief to help and he called some other traffic law officer that would know more i guess and he said there was nothing either.

so im guessing its cool?

·
Registered
264 Posts
i didnt read through all this... But im from IL and i have a number of tickets... but we wont get into that. anywho, with NOS, i've never had any problems with it before... i've had a few stateboys pick through my whole car wiritng tickets for header, cold air, and other etc stuff... it was all BS and it got thrown out in court... but still you can get nailed with anything u do to ur car... Just be smart about it and you should be good ;)

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Gottaride....

WAY TO GO! Nice job taking the initiative and walking into the lion's den. hehe. GOod to know if I am ever in IL.. and uh, if I ever get Nitrous.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Gottaride....

WAY TO GO! Nice job taking the initiative and walking into the lion's den. hehe. GOod to know if I am ever in IL.. and uh, if I ever get Nitrous.....

Illinois police won't like you period, you're a cheesehead.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i once yelled out go bears, packers suck in a WI gas station....

im not even really a football person.... i thought it be funny!... and a few people gave me looks but that was it....[paranoid]

but yeah i talk to one of my friends that are studing to be a lawyer and she said even though there maybe no state law... each town can make there own law of the topic as long as it doesnt controdict the state law... so thats my next step to see if the surrounding area has any laws on it.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Illinois police won't like you period, you're a cheesehead.
Hahahah. You ass.

Actually, IL cops don't give a rat's ass about my car..... Only place I've been that I can go 90 in the SLOW lane and STILL get passed by all you maniac FIBs.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
gottaride28 said:
i once yelled out go bears, packers suck in a WI gas station....

im not even really a football person.... i thought it be funny!... and a few people gave me looks but that was it....[paranoid]

but yeah i talk to one of my friends that are studing to be a lawyer and she said even though there maybe no state law... each town can make there own law of the topic as long as it doesnt controdict the state law... so thats my next step to see if the surrounding area has any laws on it.
I don't believe you would need to do that. The town your car is REGISTERED in is generally the big hurrdle. If there is no state law and no city ordinance, then you're fine. Like I said, they can't tell you pop your hood and look without a) a warrant or b) CARB certified personel.
Those would be the ONLY ways you'd have to submit to it. Of course, you get into an accident and the hood is up, well, it's plain view. You're good to go man, relax.

[thumb]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts