Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2007 manual Ford Focus with 24k miles on it. I am new to this forum and am very ignorant when it comes to automobiles, so please bear with me. I have three concerns and hope I can get some sort of advice into these matters. My first concern is when I hit a bump (whether it be a speed bump, slowly of course, or a small crack) and when my back tires hit them, I hear a squeek around the back wheel wells. Is this an issue with suspension/shocks or something else? My second concern is when I lift my brake peddle from a stop, i hear a squeek from the car. Now I just changed my front brakes over the summer due to the front right brake being completely shattered and grinding into my rotor. But this "releasing brake squeek" continued and when I asked my gf to sit outside the car and listen where it came from she said both sides at the front and back? My final concern has to do with my clutch. When the car is started and sitting idle, there will be this loud "clicking" coming from the engine. Now when I push the clutch in the noise would stop. When the clutch was released the noise would continue again. But if I released the clutch slowly while idle the noise would not continue. This seems like it is slowly getting worse. Maybe it is just me since I am paying more and more attention to it, I don't know? But I rarely ever grind my transmission and has been like this for as long as I can remember? Any help with diagnosing these problems would be greatly appreciated. I also don't know what would be normal wear and tear or what would be covered by my warranty? I've NEVER wrecked my car and take pretty good care of it. Money is tight, as probably for a lot of people, and would rather get suggestions first before I pay the mechanics to do nothing. Thank you for any help you can suggest, I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My buddy has the same clutch problem and your gonna hate this but it might be your throw out bearing. The reason it will only make noise when the clutch is out is because thats when the clutch is out the bearing engages but when you depress the clutch the bearing then disengages. The reason this is bad is because your throw out bearing sits right in between your engine and transmission and one of the two typically has to be pulled to get it fixed and can be spendy. This is all a guess but sound to be the same symptoms my buddy is having as for your other probs im not sure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If its an 07 with 24k its still under factory warranty. Let ford decide what to do. If its ur clutch they wont fix it but they wll diagnose it for free. more than likely you will need to pull the trans to fix it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Does the squeek happen if you push down on the car when it's standing still? How about when you're driving on a really wet rainy day?

Clutch- Yeah but if it's the release bearing they will fix it free (or they should anyway) because that's not a wear item. That's a manufacturing defect.

If these are drum brakes on the back, they might squeek if the brakes are pretty far out of adjustment. Then the edge of the shoe can squeek against the backing plate as the shoes have to move farther than normal to reach the ends of their travel. If this were the case, you'd probably notice that the hand brake wasn't holding very well also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I've done research into it before and I read the same about the bearing and my clutch. I hope that my warranty will cover that but with my luck it won't. As for pushing down on the car I have never tried to do that while it was sitting still. If I push down and I hear the noise what will that mean? And if it doesn't, then what? Finally, my hand break holds up pretty well. I know this because when I forget it is still on and I try to reverse my car will lift up and not move anywhere. I know that it's bad for the car, it is just human error when I forget it's still pulled up. Once again guys thanks for the help and i'll continue to look further into these matters. I am afraid to go to the dealership cuz I always feel I'm getting taken advantage of and the wool pulled over my eyes.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you can cause a squeak by just pushing down on the car it only means you can crawl under there and find it easier! There's a good chance it's something as simple as the sway bar bushings which, if it is bothersome to you, can be lubed.

Without actually hearing the brake noise, and with the brakes adjustment apparently all right- I'm out of opinions on that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts