Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Brazil and I have a Ford Focus equivalent to the ZX3 US version. My car doesn't seen to be normal compared to other Focus and running some tests with a PCM Scanner I noticed that the ignition timing is too low. Under WOT condition it's starting at 10 degrees (1.000rpm) and finishing at only 15 degrees (7.000rpm). What would be the normal ignition timing?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Isn't your fuel down there mostly ethanol? I thought that ethanol raises the octane but there could be a problem with the mechanism that determines the percent of ethanol in your fuel. I don't know if we have any "flex fuel" Foci up here for a comparison.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BornAgainFordOwner said:
Isn't your fuel down there mostly ethanol? I thought that ethanol raises the octane but there could be a problem with the mechanism that determines the percent of ethanol in your fuel. I don't know if we have any "flex fuel" Foci up here for a comparison.
My Focus is not "flex fuel". Our gas has 20% of ethanol mixed, but there isn't any mechanism to determine the mixture, it's just like US Foci. It doesn't have a knock sensor also.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The ignition timing is controlled by tables in the PCM. The Shop Manual doesn't list the tables. Does your car seem to run as well as the other cars that you have checked? If your car is not running well, perhaps a failed crankshaft or camshaft sensor is causing it to run in "fail safe mode". Although you should have a MIL light if this were to be the case. If your car is running normally, perhaps the timing is displayed in camshaft degrees instead of crankshaft degrees. The ignition system does use the camshaft sensor to determine when cylinder number one is in its compression stroke. That seems unlikely but if your figures were doubled they would be closer to what I would expect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BornAgainFordOwner said:
The ignition timing is controlled by tables in the PCM. The Shop Manual doesn't list the tables. Does your car seem to run as well as the other cars that you have checked? If your car is not running well, perhaps a failed crankshaft or camshaft sensor is causing it to run in "fail safe mode". Although you should have a MIL light if this were to be the case. If your car is running normally, perhaps the timing is displayed in camshaft degrees instead of crankshaft degrees. The ignition system does use the camshaft sensor to determine when cylinder number one is in its compression stroke. That seems unlikely but if your figures were doubled they would be closer to what I would expect.
My car doesn't have a normal performance like other Focus, it's a 2.0 16v, but it's performance is compared to a 1.8 16v (tested in the street).

I only need the normal values for ignition timing, in degrees, in diferent rpm ranges, if possible, so I can compare to mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts