Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought a 2000 Zx3 few weeks ago. It has 133mi on it. The car has a few issues, but overall not too bad.

Now since i bought the car, I've had slight difficulty turning on the car. I would take the key out and try again. Normally this would work, but with in the last week I have gone up to 6 trys and still wont start. This morning I couldn't start it at all. Gauge lights and radio all come on, I'll turn the wheel in & out of lock position, still the same results!
I assume this has something with the Anti-theift Security Devise.
Before I was driving a 88 Civic and got tired of fixing it & now I cant even turn on my Focus on. Let me know if you guys have any ideas!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hope you have two keys....

The "PATS" light (LED in center of dash) should be flashing if the key is the issue, or a buddy with a scan tool can pull up the code....

You can ONLY program a new key yourself IF you have two working keys, otherwise it's a dealer or VERY good locksmith issue (needs computer & software to program...).

Luck!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Auto or manual? The lockout switch which is activated by depressing the clutch may need attention/replacement. If you have floor mats that are too thick, they can prevent the lockout switch from making contact. I suspect the auto version also has some sort of safety lockout. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its a 5 speed. I only have one key with the chip. And I guess I'll move the floormatt & see if that will work. Thanks guys I'll get back to you in a few!!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
That clutch pedal safety switch might also need replacing/lubricating. On my car, pumping the clutch pedal usually freed it up (unstuck it) enough to start.

Oh and do yourself a favor; if your ignition key lock cylinder has never been replaced, do it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts