Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I try to start my car it takes about 15 minutes to get the key to turn to the on position. It feels like if you were to turn youre steering wheel to far when the car is off and it locks up. But it does it every time and even if I dont turn the wheel. Any suggetions?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Sounds like it is time to replace the lock ASAP, before it quits working completely and you have to pay for a tow and lock drill-out to replace it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how hard would it be to replace the lock? I have minimal technichal experience, I've only installed minor things such as an alternator, a purge kit, intake, pressure gauges, and brakes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would I spray the silicone?

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
ASAP means AS SOON HAS POSSIBLE believe get it fixed before it stops working. I used to just jiggle the key and turn the steering wheel till it turned. it would take only a few trys then one night it took like 15 min to get it to work since that happened it only started 2-3 more starts then BAM!!! I was stranded. Luckly I parked my car at the top of my drive way and we just pushed it on a trailer. My car was a MTX. So my advise to you is get it fixed before it cost money to tow it it will save you some headaches.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im at the point were it takes like 30 to 50 turns to get it started. How much did it cost you to fix it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ford has a new cylinder so make sure you get the new one, it won't give you the same problem again.

When I started having a problem with mine, I would hit the end of the key with the palm of my hand before turning and it would do the trick.

I got mine repaired under warranty so it didn't cost me a thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are unlucky as I am and your warranty runs out, it will run about $400. That's the dealership for you. I just got mine fixed today.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
I later found out that A buddy of mine who owns his a shop and just bought the machine to program the keys or something like that but he would have saved like 200 dollars or even more I'm not for sure cause I never took it to him I just bought a a clutch and svt suspension kit ,and I was just about to buy a STS when BBAAMM!!! the %*#@ing key thing broke I was ssooo pissed off cause has all focus owners know ford did'nt get it right the first time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for help guys I got it fixed today for 97 bucks at a safe and lock shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts