Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have an 03 svt..today i drove home from college to go to work (only a 30 min drive) everything was fine. I pulled in my driveway switch to my f150 work truck and went to work. When I came back a few hours later I went to hop in the svt and drive back. I put the key in the ignition- key went in as usual, made the dinging noise it makes when the door is open, but then i went to turn it over and it wouldn't budge. I figured i just needed to do the wiggle the steering wheel trick, and still it would not turn. I tried resetting the ecu via removing negative battery cable....still no luck. I figure it is not the chip thing in the key because it would still turn but not start. So I figure my problem is the tumblers?? Anyone have any ideas?? Trust me it's not the steering wheel, it's locked with very limited wiggle room and i tried for about 20 minutes. Any suggestion??

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i wonder if that is my only option... ill have to call mike tomorrow

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

It could very well be the ignition cylinder, but when that fails,
it's usually because the key is stuck in the ignition and you can't remove it.
Search for "key stuck in ignition", and you'll get several hits.
And, drjkel has the right thread to go to for some help on removing the ignition cylinder if that is it.

But, I am a bit confused.
You say, "because it would still turn but not start".
Is the key turning all the way to the start position or not?
Do you here any clicks from the starter solenoid?

Something to check, if the key is turning properly, but the engine still won't start:
You should check your clutch position switch, as well as the clutch neutral safety switch (I believe that's what it's called).
It may not be sending the proper signal to the ECU telling it that the clutch is depressed all the way.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ut, I am a bit confused.
You say, "because it would still turn but not start".
Is the key turning all the way to the start position or not?
Do you here any clicks from the starter solenoid?

I was refering to the fact that the chip in the key would not be the problem because the key would still turn....ruling that out.

The key is not stuck in the ignition, it comes out fine.

I ended up putting the key in and giving it a tap with a small hammer and it turned...but i have to do that every time i want to start it, and i know that i was lucky it worked even the first time....so it looks like ill be driving the r/t until i get this fixed.....sweet.....<10 mpg

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the PATS chip has absolutely nothing to do with the key turning in the cylinder. if the PATS chip is F'd your PATS light will flash rapidly while the key is in the "ON" position. but you can still turn the key.

yeah, if you have to tap the key everytime, you need to get Mike to send you a new one before that cylinder completely locks up. cuz once it locks up completely, you have no other choice than using a drill to remove it.

good luck

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, calling him tomorrow

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Heheh Don't feel bad I was stranded by the same problem but I found out what caused mine.. (2000 Focus wagon) inserted the key went about half way and stopped, tried to pull it out wouldn't budge whacked it with my palm and it flew in as soon as it stopped I knew my ignition was frozen due to the key being 1/4 inch to far out.. grabbed a pair of vise grips from the trunk and ripped the old pats key out and shone my mini mag into the cylinder. waaaay back there I could see a brass tumbler jammed... I looked at the ONLY pats key we owned and noticed the sides of the end of the key shaved... the key slowly shaved third tumbler down to the point it slipped through

at least it gave me the excuse to get the car's Pats/remotes removed 2 new keys cut/programmed as master 1 & 2 and a new remote :D now I can program my own keys/remotes in the future

I kept my old pats key as a emergency spare (not programmed to the car) but it will still open the car if I lock the keys in again and this key can be hidden somewhere on the car cuz if somone finds it and tries to steal it the alarm will go berserk

LOL be thankful you have a second car.. I felt like a complete tool driving there courtesy van around with there logo painted from headlight to taillight for 2 days

:/ I PMed mike a number of times for parts but never got a response so I thumped out the $609.55 for the new cylinder, 2 New Pats keys, Cutting/resetting the tumblers to match the doors, the cars computer wiped of all old keys/remotes then the 2 new pats and remotes added..

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^stealership abused you!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
ownd!!!!

mike can get you a new cylinder for under 100. and if you act before the thing becomes completely jammed, you dont need to drill out the old one

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Mike was Pmed numerous times in the past month about pats keys and remotes I never got a response :( (Never Pmed about the ignition cuz it never gave me a single ounce of of failing) key always went in fine ignition never stuck never had to wiggle the wheel (usually happens when someone turns the wheel with no key causing the cylinder to lock it in the first place)
All I can say with mine is it just went like that, I never had to push hard, smack,hit the key what so ever... actually the ignition was loose key went in with absolutely no force needed for the 2 1/2 years of ownership

I may of been Pwned by the price but I got the car back 3 hours later and kept the courtesy car for 2 extra days ( didn't mind they have a few)

Plus now I have piece of mind that the old bag who owned the car before me (She beat the car BADLY Scratched the roof up, busted the front bumper burned holes in the interior scratched up every piece of vinyl including gouging holes in the door covers) who still has the OLD key #1 and remote can't take the car or trigger the remote plus as a work car I couldn't let it sit for days/weeks till mike could get me the parts :/ I pmed him 9 days ago about a trunk harness aswell with no reply

·
Banned
7,946 Posts

i never pm him, i always call him.

ive told too many people this in the past. dude is very busy and doesnt get much time on our Forum anymore.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
LOL I will keep that on the board (not board I have next to my desk) but as it sits eh its over and done with so I guess I can live with it :)

Still need to change that hatch harness its still buggered

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea he's a busy guy, has been on the road since friday basically, can't get a hold of him.... (Please don't lock up ignition)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
it shouldn't right away the majority of the times you an get away with a week or so of the tips and tricks before it permanently acts up if ya know what I mean :)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Well that Seriously Bites :( I can't use that number its not available in my Area[xx(]

Looks up the website for the dealer and find the local area code number

i never pm him, i always call him.

ive told too many people this in the past. dude is very busy and doesnt get much time on our Forum anymore.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
[wiggle] heheh found there website and got the number from there
well I know now how bad stealership pricing is and I swear if I ever see those 2 dealerships again [hatchet]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts