Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
My memory of the release pin was that it was on the side of the cylinder housing that faced to the rear, most are on the bottom, but the focus was high up on the rear face. I remember you had to have the steering wheel cut strongly to the left first, as the wheel spokes were in the way of seeing it. I used a small tipped full size torx screwdriver to push in on the button, as it gave a little extra reach and it took more force than you would normally expect to push it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My memory of the release pin was that it was on the side of the cylinder housing that faced to the rear, most are on the bottom, but the focus was high up on the rear face. I remember you had to have the steering wheel cut strongly to the left first, as the wheel spokes were in the way of seeing it. I used a small tipped full size torx screwdriver to push in on the button, as it gave a little extra reach and it took more force than you would normally expect to push it in.
I tried all of this again and still no luck.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
ewick-

What kind of steering column do you have, fixed or tilt/telescope? I have my old fixed steering column up for sale in the B/S/T forum...http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144389

My lock cylinder has already been removed from it, all you'd have to do is pull your current column, install this one and drop your new lock cylinder in. Might be easier/cheaper than completely drilling out your old cylinder...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Theres also one other problem you could have if you have an automatic trans. If you cant get the key "out" at times but the key goes in fine and turns, you would need a new shifter. You can call me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts.
Can you get a PATS key just by itself and program it yourself? We got our Focus used and it only came with one key. It's usually not a problem since my wife drives it most but I'd still like a second key. Thanks, and thanks for all the info on this site. I just got done R&Ring the ignition lock cylinder - rekeying was simple for me since I used to work at Home Depot in the hardware department and had lots of experience rekeying locks for people.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You need at least two keys to program them yourself, otherwise it'll require a trip to the dealer or a locksmith with the correct computer equipment.

Prices on this service will probably vary from one dealer to the next, but my little brother only got one key with his '03 and he dropped it in the yard and then my dad ran it over with the lawnmower. We got two keys pre-cut from Mike (b16sir1991) and towed the car to the dealership up the street and I want to say they only charged something like $65 to program both keys to the ECU...that was after they quoted him at $250 for two keys cut to his VIN plus programming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
^
You need at least two keys to program them yourself, otherwise it'll require a trip to the dealer or a locksmith with the correct computer equipment.

Prices on this service will probably vary from one dealer to the next, but my little brother only got one key with his '03 and he dropped it in the yard and then my dad ran it over with the lawnmower. We got two keys pre-cut from Mike (b16sir1991) and towed the car to the dealership up the street and I want to say they only charged something like $65 to program both keys to the ECU...that was after they quoted him at $250 for two keys cut to his VIN plus programming.
What's the correct computer equipment? I have an extensive computer background in terms of building, servicing, designing, programming, and operating computers of all sizes, and if there is some simple interface unit that plugs into a serial or USB port and software to run it, I'd be interested in getting it. Maybe I could then offer programming for people on the FF forum at a cut rate as a way of helping out....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a little off subject from the key cylinder, but I had to change the computer in my focus 2.0 split port and then learned that the keys need to be programmed for that computer. I have both of my factory keys, is there anyway I can program them myself for the replaced (used) computer versus towing the car to a dealership and paying them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm pretty much positive that's going to require a trip to the dealer...odds are the keys are going to have to get reprogrammed to the ECU and not the other way around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Theres also one other problem you could have if you have an automatic trans. If you cant get the key "out" at times but the key goes in fine and turns, you would need a new shifter. You can call me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts.
My girlfriend lost the key to her car, can you please help me I need to replace the Ignition lock cylinder and I'm not sure if I can just order one off Amazon without having special tools

21 - 30 of 30 Posts