Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key can still turn, but it is hard to take it out and put it back, so I need to fix the problem, probably by replacing the cylinder. I have seen lots of discussions about replacing the ignition lock cylinder on Ford Focus, but strange enough I didn't find the instructions to do so. Would anyone give me a link? I have seen a link http://www.mbremerart.com/misc/Focus%20Manual/2003%20Focus%20Ignition%20Lock%20Cylinder.htm, but it is quite hard to read. Any better instructions?

Also, how much is a reasonable price for a new cylinder? What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
First off, is your ignition cylinder frozen? If so there's a lot of drilling required to get it out, you basically have to drill out the pins to get the cylinder to move again which is easier said than done as the metal the cylinder is made from is designed to resist this. Or you could just order the new cylinder and get a new steering column...

If you're just looking to do this as a precaution its pretty easy, you just need to remove the bottom steering column cover, put the key in the ignition and then look at the bottom of the lock cylinder carrier, there's a small (3mm?) hole. Turn the key until you see a little peg drop down into the hole, push it with a small screwdriver (or other adequate tool) and the cylinder will slide right out. Installing the new one is pretty simple, just line the same peg up with its slot in the carrier and slide it in.

To get a new one, PM b16sir1991 with what you want and your VIN, he can configure it to match your key(s) using your VIN.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the instructions! My key can still turn, but is getting worse and worse, so I basically leave the key there all the time. :(

What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

First off, is your ignition cylinder frozen? If so there's a lot of drilling required to get it out, you basically have to drill out the pins to get the cylinder to move again which is easier said than done as the metal the cylinder is made from is designed to resist this. Or you could just order the new cylinder and get a new steering column...

If you're just looking to do this as a precaution its pretty easy, you just need to remove the bottom steering column cover, put the key in the ignition and then look at the bottom of the lock cylinder carrier, there's a small (3mm?) hole. Turn the key until you see a little peg drop down into the hole, push it with a small screwdriver (or other adequate tool) and the cylinder will slide right out. Installing the new one is pretty simple, just line the same peg up with its slot in the carrier and slide it in.

To get a new one, PM b16sir1991 with what you want and your VIN, he can configure it to match your key(s) using your VIN.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You get the cylinder kit from ford and it is a new body and cylinder that fits into your steering column. You get little bags of tumblers and springs and an instruction sheet. You can get a code to match your vin #, or measure your key and pick the correct tumblers based on that, or just trial and error the pieces. You will know when it's right, because when you put your key in the new cylinder slot, the tumblers will all pull down flush with the outside edge. Reusing your key means one key still fits every lock on the car, and you avoid all the mess of changing out a code key and needing to reprogram the car to accept a new key. I did the lock kit assembly in about 35 minutes and I really took my time. It takes around a half hour to then swap the new cylinder into the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much is it? Thanks!

You get the cylinder kit from ford and it is a new body and cylinder that fits into your steering column. You get little bags of tumblers and springs and an instruction sheet. You can get a code to match your vin #, or measure your key and pick the correct tumblers based on that, or just trial and error the pieces. You will know when it's right, because when you put your key in the new cylinder slot, the tumblers will all pull down flush with the outside edge. Reusing your key means one key still fits every lock on the car, and you avoid all the mess of changing out a code key and needing to reprogram the car to accept a new key. I did the lock kit assembly in about 35 minutes and I really took my time. It takes around a half hour to then swap the new cylinder into the car.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The new lock is around 90 dollars shipped from Hilbish Ford, send a PM to 16sir1991, he works there and provides a nice discount to FF members. To change the lock, you remove the cover from the bottom half of the steering column. Then you put the key in and turn it to the ACC position. Then you push in this little tab under the key switch and the old lock pops out. You need to turn the steering to the right to see the tab. The new one then pops right in. Mike from Hilbish Ford (b16sir1991) will setup the new cylinder for your key if you PM or call him with your VIN #.

Another option is to call a local locksmith, tell them that you want a Strattec lock cylinder, that is the lock that works better. Do not get one made by Hup, they are the bad ones.

If you have two keys already, it is a great idea to get a spare PATS key and program it with your two keys. I think the owners manual explains how.

Do it before it locks up completely and you have to tow the car and have the lock drilled out. ($$$)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks a lot for the instructions! My key can still turn, but is getting worse and worse, so I basically leave the key there all the time. :(

What is the difference between the old style and the new style? My current one is the old style. Should I get one with new style?

YES, get the new style. The internal parts are much sturdier and the whole design is better. You'll see the difference when you set the tumblers to your key. Change it out while its still easy to do so!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your dealer probably does two of these a week in their shop. My baby size dealer that doesn't stock anything had the upgrade kits on the shelf. If you want to avoid screwing with the little pieces yourself, The prekeyed unit from Hilbish sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Theres also one other problem you could have if you have an automatic trans. If you cant get the key "out" at times but the key goes in fine and turns, you would need a new shifter. You can call me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i swear ford pushes a button in their main office to start the global issues with their cars. My car just started to have the issue as well... problem is its already completely stuck. Luckily (ATransmition) it doesnt even turn when i get it in so i wont have to get a new shifter. I hope i dont have to anyway. Now my question is now that its completely stuck (key doesnt even turn after getting the key in with force) does this mean i couldnt do the work myself if i got the new parts from Mike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seem to have a slightly different problem. I could start the car but couldn't remove the key. After taking the cylinder out, I could easily remove the key. It seems that the part that recesses a little inside the column isn't going in so I can't remove the key. In other words, I can take a screwdriver and start the car after the cylinder is out and easily take the key out of the cylinder. When I put the cylinder back in with the key, I can start the car and turn the car off, but not turn it far enough to the left (past the indentation) to remove the key. Any help? Will the new type cylinder work?
By the way, great instructions. Thank you!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think the '05 and up have the new style key cylinder. The old ones have the key slot a little off center. You might have the shifter problem, dunno.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having problems with removing the cylinder. I drilled it but I still can't remove the cylinder. I can start the car though and all...

I don't see anything that "pops out" when I put the key into the accessory position. Are there any tricks to this?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Do you have the bottom steering column cover removed? Look at the bottom of the lock cylinder carrier, there is a small 3 (or so) mm hole. When the key is put in the accessory position a pin drops into the hole, you push it with a small allen wrench (or other suitable tool) and the cylinder slides out when you pull on the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I have the bottom cover removed. I don't see a pin dropping into the hole when I switch the ignition to the accessory position...

Nevertheless, I still tried to push in the hole and then pull out the cylinder but it did not work...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts