Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home this afternoon and stopped to pick up something to cook for dinner and when I parked and shifted in P, my key wouldn't turn all the way back for #1 Lock position.

When I got home I tried going through the auto trans positions and turning the wheel to see if it would "lock" which it didn't. The key remains in the ignition tonight because I didn't want to "force it".

I'm driving a 2007 Focus ZX3 w/114,000 mi and it has been one of my favorite cars and since I'm 62, that is a lot of cars.

Any opinions of suggestions appreciated before I go to the dealer?
P. S. I had the car Vehicle Inspected about 10 days ago and was hooked up to a NC DMV computer/analyzer but I don't know if there is a correlation.
Best wishes Fellow Focus Fanatics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was coming home this afternoon and stopped to pick up something to cook for dinner and when I parked and shifted in P, my key wouldn't turn all the way back for #1 Lock position.

When I got home I tried going through the auto trans positions and turning the wheel to see if it would "lock" which it didn't. The key remains in the ignition tonight because I didn't want to "force it".

I'm driving a 2007 Focus ZX3 w/114,000 mi and it has been one of my favorite cars and since I'm 62, that is a lot of cars.

Any opinions of suggestions appreciated before I go to the dealer?
P. S. I had the car Vehicle Inspected about 10 days ago and was hooked up to a NC DMV computer/analyzer but I don't know if there is a correlation.
Best wishes Fellow Focus Fanatics.
I just recently have had problems with my ignition not allowing me to turn it over. Is your key stuck inside the ignition cylinder or can you take it out? Im not familiar with the lock option because my 03Se doesn't have it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There been many problems with igntion getting stuck on 2000 to 2005 Focus. You can search up 707592 Strattec Ignition Kit which will probably fit your model, it runs 27$but you will have to code it yourself which may take over an hr. Taking apart the dash to release the ignition cyclinder seems to be relatively easy. There is a company that sells the same part for 40$ and they will code it for you if you send a picture of your key. I will send you a few links of video that may help you. I think this is more of a do it yourself rather then get overcharged at a dealership.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Getting it to turn on and not being able to turn it off fully are two totally different issues..........

·
Registered
374 Posts
Every time I had a stuck one at the dealership I worked at a little tapping on the end of the key with a hammer usually fixed it temporarily or at least to get it in the run position to remove the cylinder for replacement.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
I used a vibrating engraving pen once to do that, worked perfectly.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
All you gotta do us replace the shifter. I had the same issue on my old 07 S. I replaced the ignition and did most of what others have pointed out. Then I bought a $50 shifter from eBay and boom. Fixed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had this problem. What happened was that the plastic on the shifter cracked and sank down slightly when it was in Park thereby tricking the transmission to think that it was not in Park thereby keeping the keys locked in the cylinder.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Remove the shifter solenoid that does all that and problem free for the life of the car, zero bucks there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts