Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ZX3,
The ignition switch/ lock cylinder turns freely without any issues. However today while trying to start the car it would not start ! While turning the key it would make a clicking sound underneath the dash near the fuse panel on the inside of the car. The odometer readings were going crazy flashing numbers 888.8
888.888 ETC.
The interior lights went very dim, like no power, acted as if the battery was dead.
About 1-hour later put the key in and it started right up without any issues.
Checked it again later and she fires right up.
Somebody please help. I really need to get this taken care of A.S.A.P. and not be stranded somewhere.
What could be the issue ?
Thanks for any help.
Ray

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Good chance its a loose or dirty battery terminal. Check for corrosion.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
ditto what viney said. its the most common cause for what your explaining. if not that then have the battery tested

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,
I will head to Auto Zone and pick up another battery today. Could a loose connection/battery cause the odometer to go crazy like it did ?
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Could a loose connection/battery cause the odometer to go crazy like it did ?"

Yes, when the voltage gets low electronics can do all sort of weird things. It probably was going through a self-test when the voltage can back up after the relay for the starter clicked-out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I will have the battery tested and replace if needed as well as clean the terminals up.
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Check the little ground wire right near the battery too. (It's black with an orange stripe, and it fastens to the car body near the battery) I had that one loose one time, similar results to your symptom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts