Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say someone wanted to remove the standard keyed ignition system and replace it with something more... creative, what would be involved in that and has it been done before? Thanks. SPACE

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Sure, it can be done, but the fords need to see the key fob to start, keep that in mind... Honestly, if you have to ask, its prolly above your skill level. It would be a pain. You could use remote start hardware to do it.

What do you have planned.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, right now everything I have planned is above my skill level. That's why I'm in school. I like how in the transporter he can start the car with a code. Systems like those are intriguing. I wouldn't mind playing around with more complicated variations of the concept but you have to begin somewhere. It would also be nice to make it hot wire proof in the process. There must be a way to do that.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't know what happened there. Can't seem to delete them either. Sorry.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
No problem, taken care of...

It is pretty "hotwire" proof as is, the transponder system is pretty complex. If you are in school for car electronics, it will all make sense when you get to remote starts. Some are pretty complex to install and actually make work correctly on transonder cars. It just depends on how much time you want to put into starting the car. I personally wouldn't bother unless its a full blown show car.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I have a starter button [hihi] lol ok I'm out.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I'ave always wanted to have a starter button!!

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Actually a starter button is super easy. I wish I had written a how-to, but I installed mine way before I joined this forum.

·
Registered
400 Posts
START BUTTON IS GREAT. Ford GT start button from Mike at hilbish, amazingly easy. but i can also what space is sayin, i want to add switch in for the ignition rather than the key you know. like flip a switch, push a button. lol

Andrew

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I also got that lol! but is is just a electric cut off switch, it stills needs the key in there.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Its really no big deal to install a button, I don't know what the fascination with that is, but just break the ignition trigger and install the button.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how this whole transponder deal works but the way I see it you could just take the gut of the key out and put it in something else, custom enclosure I guess, and then make a place where you insert that into the dash. That could take the place of the key, then you just press the button and go. If I could I would take the guts out of a prius or something with the wireless keyfobs and do that but I don't know anything about that stuff. I didn't know it but even the dern s2000 needs a key to start it. I'd really like to have a thing where you get in the car with the key in your pocket and there is an lcd screen that when you get in the car it powers up and has a number pad on the screen. You type in your code and then the screen shows a start button or maybe different starting options, then you just press it and do what you do. That would be nice, and doable I suppose.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
The C6 vette as well as a few other cars have a system where as long as the key fob is within X# of feet from the car the doors will be unlocked (electronic doors with a push button releas on the handle), and as long as the fob is within the interior of the vehicle you just push the button once and it does the cranking/starting of the car for you.. only have to have the fob in your pocket for it to work. and as you walke away the doors auto lock when you get far enough away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts