Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this up because of the amount of members that are contacting me about the replaceing of their ignition cylinder"s. Theres several threads on this and some of these contain what i was charging for building you and sending the new ones out. Ford had a big price increase on the kits and in turn made mine go up. Im still a ton cheaper than your dealership will be. If you need the new one, i will still build it to match your existing key and ship it to you for $80 with a "plain" key or $90 with a spare PATs key if you want one. The reason i cut a key either way is to assure that your key code from ford works, so either way you will get a key, just a matter of if you want a spare "chip" key. if you have two existing keys, you can program a third yourself, but if you only have one, the spare i send you will be cut, but will need to be programmed by your dealer or a locksmith that has the computer to do so. The new kit from Ford is a Motorcraft SW-6285 and retails for $130 now unbuilt and without a key of any kind. If you need a new one from yours locking up on you, you can contact me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts. Heres pics of the old style and the new style cylinders in case you dont know if you have the old one:
This is the new one:

This is the old one:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another satified customer here. Called Mike midday on Tuesday and the built IC and PATs key was waiting on me when I got home Wed. evening. 15 minutes later the new cylinder was installed (did not have to drill) and the new key programmed. All is now good. THANK YOU MIKE!

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
i didn't know there was a new style. i saw this a few hours too late and my fofo is already at the dealership, but now i'll make sure they install the newer style, since this focus has gone through 2 of the older styles.. good looking out, mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im just wondering if my 2000 focus could have this problem ...
The key is stuck in the ignition (wont pull out) but will start the car and go to the off position ..
another thing I noted is the shifter will move anytime
Don't these cars have an interlock ?
could I have two issues ?,
the car has been in a minor accident (rear quarter/ door) but I don't think it should have affected the ignition ?
what parts do you recomend to repair this condition as I would be able to do it myself
Im a GM / ASE cert tech so I have done this sort of thing before just not many ford products any information would be appreciated..
Thanks, jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
New Ignition Lock

Mike thanks for the new lock and keying the pats key with my key code. One day a few weeks ago, I put my key in the lock of my 2003 zx5 and the key wouldn't turn and the steerring wheel was locked. Out of frustration, I punched the key and the darn car started. I thought I found g_d. Nevertheless I did the swap of the new lock and it took 15 minutes. I followed the directions from this site and it was quite easy. My only advice is the secong you realize you need to do get a new lock, never take the old key out of the lock. I was able to lock the doors with the key in the ignition. If you take the key out and can't get it back in or if the lock won't move so you can turn the key to acc in order to get the lock out you made the job 100 times harder.
Thanks again Mike,

ALAN [wiggle]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ordered kit from Mike at Hilbish Ford on Tuesday morning and had it installed (use short side of an allen key to depress the button on the old cylinder) and new key programmed in 20 minutes on Friday. Car (2000 ZX3) is for my son away at college so I'm trying to eliminate as many potential problems as I can. Excellent prompt service from Mike. Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Successful Replacement

Just wanted to share my successful replacement story.

After scouring the 'net for some information on the ignition cylinder problem, I came across this forum, and found everything I needed, thanks to all of threads on this particular issue.

Bought the SW6285 kit from a local dealer (no time to wait for a cheaper one to be shipped, it's the only car we have that we can put a car seat in!) - but he gave me a break over the other dealers and gave me some sort of wholesale or dealer price (about $25 discount). Got the parts home and read over the instructions for building the cylinder. Had heard that the instructions were hard to follow or unclear, but I found them to make sense (maybe an updated set?).

I looked over the "map" of the cuts, and put the tumblers in. BAM! It worked the first time, and was very smooth.

Next, I had to get the existing cylinder out, and unfortunately, I was one of those guys that waited (almost) too late. We'd beat and banged on ours for hours with no luck once it stuck for good.

Fortunately, I recalled a comment from nacnudv8 (Click Here) who said that their locksmith employed a drill/driver set on the low torque setting to vibrate the cylinder with an ignition key in the chuck, and stuffed into the ignition switch. As the drill clicked away, the tumblers were vibrated into position and the cylinder turned... in under a minute.

After that, it took me all of 10 minutes to remove the old cylinder and install the new one and button everything back up.

Altogether, from opening the instruction sheet to wiping down the steering wheel at the end of it all, it might have taken an hour.

Big thanks to everyone that replied to my PMs, or posted ANYTHING about this issue, because I read EVERY post I found, looking for that elusive little piece of info that would get me back on the road.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am having issues with my ign cyl. Since my car is a 2000, I was sure the cyl just needed to be replaced. After looking at the new/old cyl pics, I have the new style cyl already installed.
Do the new style cyl also have issues of sticking, or do I just need to lube the cyl a bit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
engine totally quits , "I" light goes on, then it starts back up and the light goes off. Is something loose in my ignition install, or should I do the whole thing again?? I haven't been stranded yet, but it has happened a dozen times this week, and is a bit unnerving driving between Las Vegas and Bullhead. 100 miles of NOTHING, and iffy cell service. and since the 'code' won't stay lit, they can't read it at auto Zone. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone else like me just take the cylinder out, remove all the tumblers and re-install? Due to the chip in the key, no other key will start my car, so who needs the tumblers? I fixed mine for free about a year ago and knock on wood haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else like me just take the cylinder out, remove all the tumblers and re-install? Due to the chip in the key, no other key will start my car, so who needs the tumblers? I fixed mine for free about a year ago and knock on wood haven't had any issues since.
Haha thats what i was going to do but i couldnt get the cylinder to spin to get it out, so i drilled it. still need to play with it tomorrow. not sure if i want to buy a new cylinder and just leave the tumblers out, or actually rekey it orrrr i could get the new dorman set with new keys and an autoprogrammer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can u make and program me a key to my existing car i dont have a key at all this is how i bought it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts