Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

Forgive me if this feels a little like deja vu. I have read the numerous posts about ignition cylinders and replacement problems, but I don't think this specific situation was addressed, and if it was, I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

I recently bought a 2001 focus hatchback. I inherited 2 ford factory keys: One for the doors and one for the ignition.
Because the key was a little sticky and I knew about the common cyclinder problems, I went ahead and bought a Strattec kit online, removed my old cylinder and recoded the new cylinder, so it would work with my original key.

The new cylinder is working great; however, I can't start the car.

If I'm using the same key do I still have to reprogram?

The key is a basic ford key without a fab.

I had the battery disconnected during the install...

Any help is very much appreciated. I am just learning how to work on vehciles beyond an oil change and I may be in over my head!

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If either key is not encoded with a chip to match the PCM it won't start. Even if seller called one the 'ignition' key.

You say as well car won't start but there can be 50 other reasons behind that in the way you have described it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy!

Thanks a ton for replying. Let me provide a bit more context.

So the car was starting and running right before I replaced the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch. It was working perfectly with the original key.

I am using the same key. The battery is fully charged etc...

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It should go back to doing the same unless you flawed the work in some way.

You should detail what you mean by 'won't start' it means many things.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
So the car was starting and running right before I replaced the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch. It was working perfectly with the original key.

I am using the same key. The battery is fully charged etc...
1. Do you have a 'crank - no start' where when you turn the ignition to START the engine cranks by the starter motor but will not start/run?

2. With the ignition OFF (key out) is the PATS light in the dash (near the hazard flasher switch) flashing once very other second?

3. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON (not START) does the PATS light come on for about 2 seconds and then go off completely and stay off?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul!

1. No crank at all. Turn the key to on. Radio turns on...dashboard lights flash and go off, odometer boots up etc...
When turned to start, there's nothing.

2. Yes, exactly as you describe.

3. That light blinks at the same cadence above (1x every other second) in the on position.... in any position for that matter!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
3. That light blinks at the same cadence above (1x every other second) in the on position.... in any position for that matter!
You have a PATS issue. The PATS receiver that surrounds the ignition lock cylinder is not getting the signal from the chip inside the key handle. If it was the PATS light would go out with the ignition switch in the ON position. Since you said you are using the same key - when you replaced the lock cylinder could you have disconnected the PATS receiver (small 4 wire connector) by accident?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

By the Pats Receiver do you mean the transceiver (forgive me, these terms are new) I did temporarily unattach so i could get better access to the lock cylinder, but I plugged both ports back in.

But...early on in the process, I wanted to remove the transreciever and I couldn't get the screw to move, so I did spray a little WD40 on it ( i was careful but it could have got on a few of the wires).

Also I broke a tiny piece of plastic off the part that hooks into the bottom of the steering wheel but it seems well connected and I've even added extra pressure there while trying to start...

It must have been something I did, but I just can't figure it out....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
By the Pats Receiver do you mean the transceiver (forgive me, these terms are new) I did temporarily unattach so i could get better access to the lock cylinder, but I plugged both ports back in.
Yes PATS transceiver. Sorry.

Not sure what you mean by 'both ports' - it only has one 4 wire connector.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Paul. Had to look again. You're right; the other port was coming from the same cluster of wires, but not connected to the receiver... But yes the green 4 wire connector is in place and plugged in, and I did unplug it during installation...

could some accidental wd40 on those wires mess those up?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sorry Paul. Had to look again. You're right; the other port was coming from the same cluster of wires, but not connected to the receiver... But yes the green 4 wire connector is in place and plugged in, and I did unplug it during installation...

could some accidental wd40 on those wires mess those up?
I would try un-mating that connector and inspecting the contacts. If you see any oil, etc, I would flush them with contact cleaner. Then try re-mating it. You can then try - even before you put everything back together - putting the key in the lock cylinder, turning the ignition swith to ON, and see if the PATS light goes out as I outlined in post #5, question 3. Let me know.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts