Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to replace a wheel bearing whether the front or rear would you do both sides or just the one? I'm needing to replace one & if its a front I believe I'll do both fronts. Not sure if its a front or rear.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I do one at a time but being a cheapskate so I like getting all I can out of everything. The front bearing started going out on one of my Foci about 4 years ago but the other has kept running perfectly. However, if this is your only car and repairs take some planning ahead for time, I would suggest doing both just to make sure the other one doesn't create issues in the near future.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do one at a time but being a cheapskate so I like getting all I can out of everything. The front bearing started going out on one of my Foci about 4 years ago but the other has kept running perfectly. However, if this is your only car and repairs take some planning ahead for time, I would suggest doing both just to make sure the other one doesn't create issues in the near future.
My thinking to about the front.^^^^^^

·
Registered
521 Posts
I only have one car, and I do bearings one at a time as needed. Sometimes failure is an anomaly, like if one side takes water but the other is sealed up better.

Toby

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the car is older (and until recently I've always driven "older" cars - and will be again shortly here...), I'd do both sides.

I figured if this one is going at this mileage, the other one isn't long for this world either. Then you're good to go for the life of that part.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Depends on mileage. The fronts require a more careful answer than backs which are easy to do and simply wait till second one goes out. They commonly do NOT wear out at same time and I've had cars where one side changed and the other never did at all. If up north with all the corrosion to eat at fasteners, well, that comes into it too, changing bearing only often morphs into other work when things unplanned start breaking.

All a moot point if you either buy cheap Chinese bearing or do not torque the axle back up to the full torque number, you will be doing two then yet still on the same side. The common trouble that shows up again and again when those get changed.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm a firm believe in pairs.
I've seen countless 'the other side now' repairs not terribly long after the initial repair.
I'm pretty confident what it is is that the new parts work better and accelerate the ware on the leftover old parts and they fail.
Granted it's not always the case, but it does seems more common.

Brake pads come in sets for a reason. But I'd seen people replace only 1 side to get their full value out of the old ones.

In a labor respect, it depends on what's being replaced. But most times labor is less to do both at once vs at different times. So you can save a little going that way.

Rear bearings I always do as a pair because I but loaded drums.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a firm believe in pairs.
I've seen countless 'the other side now' repairs not terribly long after the initial repair.
I'm pretty confident what it is is that the new parts work better and accelerate the ware on the leftover old parts and they fail.
Granted it's not always the case, but it does seems more common.

Brake pads come in sets for a reason. But I'd seen people replace only 1 side to get their full value out of the old ones.

In a labor respect, it depends on what's being replaced. But most times labor is less to do both at once vs at different times. So you can save a little going that way.

Rear bearings I always do as a pair because I but loaded drums.
Yea^^^^ Thats my thinking too specialy for the front at you'd need to redo the toe.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Cause you need bearings or you need to do the brakes???
Bearing on the left side.

Replaced only the left last time on the cheap -- cheap was too cheap and went out after hauling so much weight last weekend.

Replacing the whole thing on both sides though...didn't feel like pressing the bearing. :p C

Haven't had to do the front -- those can take quite a beating.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bearing on the left side.

Replaced only the left last time on the cheap -- cheap was too cheap and went out after hauling so much weight last weekend.

Replacing the whole thing on both sides though...didn't feel like pressing the bearing. :p C

Haven't had to do the front -- those can take quite a beating.
Thats probably going on w/ mine^^^^^ I did find a sloppy outer heim joint on the passenger side, so I'll see if cfm can help me w/ a arm or a joint,,,So many different rattles & vibes at different times,,,

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Make sure when replacing the bearing, especially the rear, you make sure all seals are intact. I went through 3 rear bearings in a couple years until I looked and saw that the seals on the hubs had completely rotted away (you got to love NYS salt) and grime was getting in the bearing.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure when replacing the bearing, especially the rear, you make sure all seals are intact. I went through 3 rear bearings in a couple years until I looked and saw that the seals on the hubs had completely rotted away (you got to love NYS salt) and grime was getting in the bearing.
Thats no good^^^^^

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm doing the front bearing/hub assembly with my brakes. I just bought the whole bearing/retainer/hub/nut through Rock Auto for $22 each...might as well replace as much as possible while you are in there!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm doing the front bearing/hub assembly with my brakes. I just bought the whole bearing/retainer/hub/nut through Rock Auto for $22 each...might as well replace as much as possible while you are in there!
Since your doing that, I'd add the '05 spindle's for the '05+ 10.9'' brakes/svt brakes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sure Bruce, just add calipers and lower arms to the list....

Might as well since you need new ball joints for the different knuckles.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure Bruce, just add calipers and lower arms to the list....

Might as well since you need new ball joints for the different knuckles.
LOL^^^^^ Since he's there= whats one more step?

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts