Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to see what everyone preference is when it comes to purchasing their car audio equipment. What is your choice, local brick and motor or online retailer, and why?

I am fairly unbiased to either one but I am curious what all of your experiences have been.

Thank you,

·
Registered
340 Posts
Depends. If I know what I want I'll go to a local place because I can get a better deal. Otherwise I like crutchfield due to their return policy of 60 days so if I decide the equipment isn't for me I can at least return and get something else.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The wise buyer would, at least, visit a brick and mortar to listen to their speakers before purchasing (showrooming). The sad truth that many are embarrassed to admit is that most people buy their speakers unlistened and sight unseen through online retailers/eBay. While I might be able to look past this for subwoofers and amplifiers, I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on a front stage without hearing it first. And though I'm not terribly picky, I don't want to potentially hate a $300 component set either.

While we all preach "support local business!", the people have spoken. They will slit the throat of the guy standing next to them to save 20 bucks. They all agree that buying from a mom&pop is the right thing to do... as they 1-click checkout. As a business owner, you can't have faith in humanity. lol Their actions have spoken and you have to position yourself accordingly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What local place do you have that can consistently beat Amazon (and the like) on price?

There's a shop like 20 mins from me in Jamaica queens. Plus Not everything from Amazon is through authorized sellers so you don't get the warranty.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
You need to listen to them & how they compare to others. What are you looking for? There is a vas assorment of different combo's, head units, speakers, amps, etc. You need to go to a audio store for sure. And then who's going to install it?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I buy everything online. "local" shop is ran by idiots and twice the prices.

I needed 5' of 1/0 in a hurry so I drove 30 mins to the shop and asked how much and they said $7 a foot.. I asked is it CCA or OFC and he had no idea what I was talking about...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I buy everything online. "local" shop is ran by idiots and twice the prices.

I needed 5' of 1/0 in a hurry so I drove 30 mins to the shop and asked how much and they said $7 a foot.. I asked is it CCA or OFC and he had no idea what I was talking about...
Unfortunately not everyone knows what they are doing. Get me a shop name and I will talk to them about Hooker Audio and see if you can get real wire in your town ;-)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Usually online. I do go listen in a mama and pop shop though first.
Sometimes they'll beat the online price & your walking out the door w/ your products instead of waiting.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I use Crutchfield for just about everything unless it might be something I need in a hurry. Then I visit a local shop but most of the time they don't have what I'm looking for and end up online anyway .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts