Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted all the good folks who helped with advice on how to program a third or additional key to know that I really appreciated their help. And for those that are presently having trouble programming an additional key, he or she should read this:

After a week of trying to program my shiny new key I purchased on ebay for 62 bucks, I gave up. [mecry]

Tried what the manual says over and over. No Luck. Everyone on the forum said to try again and I did. Bubkus. [???:)]

I drove with all the keys before trying. I tried various permutations, again and again for hours without success. Then I tried this, having been given insight by an aftermarket seller of ignition bypass modules, and it finally worked:

Follow the manual as to the basic procedure, however do this also:

1. First, the vehicle must be opened electronically with your remote.
2. Open the door and leave it open.
3. Just before inserting the first key, press the lock button on the key, and the locks should lock and then immediately press unlock and insert the key and turn to the on position for three seconds or when the chimes start and then remove the key. Now within ten seconds....
4. Press lock and then unlock buttons on the second key. Insert and turn again to the on position for three seconds or until the chimes start then remove.
5. Insert the third key and turn to on for at least 6 -8 seconds and turn to the off position.

Key should be left in for about 5 seconds. Remove new key and then reinsert and start the engine to verify that programming took.

Finally worked for me and now have 4 keys programmed. Both the extras keys were from ebay. One just like the original, and the other a flip-key.

I Hope this helps some soul tempted to take a hammer to his new ebay key that just will not work. [wiggle] [ffrocks] Ah, the world seems so good when things work. [thumb]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem. I think the on board computer in the Focus has to differentiate between keys or it thinks you're inserting the same key. That's my theory anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great info..thx! I recently bought a 2012 S and want to have a spare main key but the $300+ was not an option...I'll try ebay...any pointers? What's a "flip" key?

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just google 2012 focus flip key ebay and you'll see it. Atiway is the seller. He is pretty reliable is his goods. Flip key hides away inside the remote part so you don't have the key sticking and poking in your pants or pocket.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those people programming JUST the remote.

How To Do It!
Time Required:
5 minutes
Tools Needed:

Hands
The key you use to start your car
All remotes you plan to use on your car (not just the new one)
Procedure:

1) Gather all the remotes you plan on using with your car.
2) Get in car, fasten seatbelt, and close doors to make sure it doesn't beep when you turn the ignition to "Run"
3) Place key in the ignition.
4) Turn the ignition to "Run" (Not Start), then back to "Off" at least 4 times in 6 Seconds, stopping at "Off"
5) The car will make one "BONG!" tone, like when you leave the car door open with the keys in the ignition.
6) Hit "Unlock" on each remote you wish to use. Wait about 1 second between each remote. You only have a window of 10 seconds to add your remotes. Only 4 can be added at a time, and if you add any remotes, then all the ones that used to work for the car that you did not program will not work.

If no tone, press a key. You will get a small tone. That means it programmed. Quickly move on to the next key, etc. Good luck

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just google 2012 focus flip key ebay and you'll see it. Atiway is the seller. He is pretty reliable is his goods. Flip key hides away inside the remote part so you don't have the key sticking and poking in your pants or pocket.
VERY HIGH quality. I am having trouble getting the key to start the car. I will try this way in a bit BUT the keyless entry works great and easy to program

I had a stroke of luck as I couldn't program the chip for the ignition for a day. I programmed chips for my old grand cherokee without any issue. It seems the Focus is a bit more finicky. I did get the new flip key I got off ebay from the above mentioned seller to work 100%. It is worth the little bit of time it took to program. Keep in mind my local locksmith charged $25.00 to cut the new blade.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using FF Mobile

·
Registered
291 Posts
VERY HIGH quality. I am having trouble getting the key to start the car. I will try this way in a bit BUT the keyless entry works great and easy to program

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
This way didnt work for me either. I did have a little luck however. It worked the original way. So now I have a high quality flip key with integrated keyless entry. I attached the pdf link to the ford directions https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&so...UetlBs0JQs_nqmLTA&sig2=FZGZxyWlk1pwthq_mBg_-Q

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wanted all the good folks who helped with advice on how to program a third or additional key to know that I really appreciated their help. And for those that are presently having trouble programming an additional key, he or she should read this:

After a week of trying to program my shiny new key I purchased on ebay for 62 bucks, I gave up. [mecry]

Tried what the manual says over and over. No Luck. Everyone on the forum said to try again and I did. Bubkus. [???:)]

I drove with all the keys before trying. I tried various permutations, again and again for hours without success. Then I tried this, having been given insight by an aftermarket seller of ignition bypass modules, and it finally worked:

Follow the manual as to the basic procedure, however do this also:

1. First, the vehicle must be opened electronically with your remote.
2. Open the door and leave it open.
3. Just before inserting the first key, press the lock button on the key, and the locks should lock and then immediately press unlock and insert the key and turn to the on position for three seconds or when the chimes start and then remove the key. Now within ten seconds....
4. Press lock and then unlock buttons on the second key. Insert and turn again to the on position for three seconds or until the chimes start then remove.
5. Insert the third key and turn to on for at least 6 -8 seconds and turn to the off position.

Key should be left in for about 5 seconds. Remove new key and then reinsert and start the engine to verify that programming took.

Finally worked for me and now have 4 keys programmed. Both the extras keys were from ebay. One just like the original, and the other a flip-key.

I Hope this helps some soul tempted to take a hammer to his new ebay key that just will not work. [wiggle] [ffrocks] Ah, the world seems so good when things work. [thumb]
Has anyone tried this and had it work for the 2014 FocusSE 4dr with Intelligent Keyhead Teansmitter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought my Focus, the spare key's transmitter did not work at all. Even one of the guys at the dealership I bought it from couldn't get it to work. As it turns out, they had to connect the car to one of their computers to get it to work.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I have a 2014 HB SE, but I use a "regular" key, not the proximity keyless ignition (if that's what you meant). I can't get new fobs to program, just the keys.
No he means the regular key which in Ford is called the integrated keyhead transmitter

Your vehicle may be equipped with
two integrated keyhead transmitters.
Use the key blade to start your
vehicle and unlock or lock the driver
door from outside the vehicle. The
transmitter portion functions as the
remote control

·
Registered
9 Posts
1st generation fobs DO work on 3rd generation cars!

For those people programming JUST the remote.

1) Gather all the remotes you plan on using with your car.
2) Get in car, fasten seatbelt, and close doors to make sure it doesn't beep when you turn the ignition to "Run"
3) Place key in the ignition.
4) Turn the ignition to "Run" (Not Start), then back to "Off" at least 4 times in 6 Seconds, stopping at "Off"
5) The car will make one "BONG!" tone, like when you leave the car door open with the keys in the ignition.
6) Hit "Unlock" on each remote you wish to use. Wait about 1 second between each remote. You only have a window of 10 seconds to add your remotes. Only 4 can be added at a time, and if you add any remotes, then all the ones that used to work for the car that you did not program will not work.

If no tone, press a key. You will get a small tone. That means it programmed. Quickly move on to the next key, etc. Good luck
Thanks for these instructions! I had 2 fobs left over from my 2002 that was recently totaled. Used these instructions to reprogram the old fobs to my 2012 hatchback and it worked like a charm! Now I have 2 extra fobs for the new car, which only came with one of the original key fob combos. Nice that the fobs work across generations.

Also nice that I can now use the old fob and a regular ignition key and not have to use the giant, dagger-like fob combo key. [loveff]

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm confused, maybe because I have an 04. What key has lock & unlock? Mine is just a key with the integrated chip and key fobs to unlock and lock the doors. I have spare keys that we had cut for my son's focus but never got them programmed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts