Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm pissed off at mine because they said that ford employee pricing forbid them from selling under that price...and it was the end of the month...and i was arguing with them for probably 30 minutes about it.

now i find out that other people in canada who ordered foci got there factory orders for under the ford employee promo price.

GRRRRRRRR [spank]

i put a $1,000 deposit down....is there anything i can do to get it back if i back out? do they have to return it once the car sells to someone else or would i be out that money?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If it makes you feel better they wouldn't budge on mine either, i did however get them to give me the 17" polished alloys for free, so i guess i got 600$ extra off

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it makes you feel better they wouldn't budge on mine either, i did however get them to give me the 17" polished alloys for free, so i guess i got 600$ extra off
yeah....you did (biatch). lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
depends on your agreement when you made the deposit. read the fine print. mine had a termination clause based on delivery date, if it was beyond 12 weeks i got my money back and didn't have to buy the car (if that was what i wanted). your contract may vary..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yea check on the back of your agreement i just checked mine, it says that after 90 days they have to write to you by mail with a full explination and a new delivery date, and after those 90 days you can terminate the contract and they have to give you back your deposite

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just something I've been wondering about for a while as I have seen so many references in so many other threads and now this one....

Is the deposit thing normal? When I ordered mine, I asked my salesguy if the dealership needed a deposit when I was ordering. He said no, they did not take deposits. They would want me to come in and see it the day it arrived (but not pick it up that day). Make sure I was completely happy with it, that it was exactly what I ordered. If satisfied, they would clean it up/doll it up and I could schedule a pick up day (which, after the painful wait, I pushed for the next day and he said OK but can you give us to at least 1 PM so we can get it ready for you?) Paperwork was processed on pickup, temp reg was there, insurance was swapped over, etc. I was just switching plates so they took them off my trade-in and moved them over. Having never ordered a car before but seeing so many references to deposits on this forum I was just wondering so anyone willing to share their experience as I am just curious.

On to the point at hand, Justy, I don't know what kind of money you are dealing with but after your process and wait are you willing to/going to just walk away? I'm guessing it must be around or more than $1,000 if you are on the fence on this. Not prying or asking for specifics so please don't give them. Just wondering.

Obviously a million car dealerships will be willing to sell you a car of any make or model and regardless, get what you want (heck, just get off that bus and in control of your own transportation destiny, not that I have a problem with public transportation, just the fact that you are car shopping/taking the step of purchasing indicates that you are ready to do so).

From my experience so far though I can tell you it is a slick little car with some really neat features. Plus, what else are you going to do with all of that wallpaper you made? Just kidding!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just something I've been wondering about for a while as I have seen so many references in so many other threads and now this one....

Is the deposit thing normal? When I ordered mine, I asked my salesguy if the dealership needed a deposit when I was ordering. He said no, they did not take deposits. They would want me to come in and see it the day it arrived (but not pick it up that day). Make sure I was completely happy with it, that it was exactly what I ordered. If satisfied, they would clean it up/doll it up and I could schedule a pick up day (which, after the painful wait, I pushed for the next day and he said OK but can you give us to at least 1 PM so we can get it ready for you?) Paperwork was processed on pickup, temp reg was there, insurance was swapped over, etc. I was just switching plates so they took them off my trade-in and moved them over. Having never ordered a car before but seeing so many references to deposits on this forum I was just wondering so anyone willing to share their experience as I am just curious.

On to the point at hand, Justy, I don't know what kind of money you are dealing with but after your process and wait are you willing to/going to just walk away? I'm guessing it must be around or more than $1,000 if you are on the fence on this. Not prying or asking for specifics so please don't give them. Just wondering.

Obviously a million car dealerships will be willing to sell you a car of any make or model and regardless, get what you want (heck, just get off that bus and in control of your own transportation destiny, not that I have a problem with public transportation, just the fact that you are car shopping/taking the step of purchasing indicates that you are ready to do so).

From my experience so far though I can tell you it is a slick little car with some really neat features. Plus, what else are you going to do with all of that wallpaper you made? Just kidding!
lol....i'm a cheap-ASS.

we're talking maybe $200-300 here.... :p

there is a dealer in town that has almost the exact one i ordered now...but with nav added......so i could just go with that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Strange. I live in Canada, got mine factory ordered, didn't have to put a cent down.

I was told once it was in we would do all that deposit and stuff like that.

Was also told that they do it this way so that I get the better of 2 deals. Either the Ford Employee pricing applies or if theres a way for me to get it cheaper, they do it that way.

·
Registered
548 Posts
They told me they need a 500$ minimum deposit to submit the order. In my experience, ALWAYS make the minimum deposit, it prevents these kind of situations. Also I didn't sign anything that said non refundable, so I would expect it back if I canceled my order. Your situation may vary.

They can sell you the car at whatever price they want if you talk to the right person. Most will say the sticker price is the price though, these guys are just chumps. You need someone up the chain to make any real deals. I think you're a bit too late to go complaining about price now that you've ordered though. I went to 3/5 of our dealerships in person and emailed the 4th before I was happy knowing I wasn't gonna get better anywhere else. I'm getting 500 less than employee pricing, not sure what they're taking that from, and the lowest admin fees in the city, no other fees other than tire/ac. Everyone else was firm on sticker, I didn't think 500$ was a great deal until I started seeing invoice prices and how low/competitive it is.

This is a brand new car, they can't afford to charge a 3 or 4 thousand dollar mark up that you might imagine a car has built into the sticker price. The price is kept LOW so as to remain competitive with other brands. They'll make up profit on warren ties and financing, etc.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just got x-plan pricing but whatever you negotiate, you get that in writing before placing your order. I wouldn't fret over 200 or 300 dollars though justy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Justy,like the above poster said, dont fret over a few hundred bucks. You will love your ff when it arrives! I was contemplating how much I wanted for my outgoing car until the ff arrived, then I didn't care as much because the new car is soooooo much nicer than the old one!
Besides, the employee pricing program was probably a way better deal than anyone could manage to get normally. You probably saved yourself $1k at least by locking in during the employee pricing program compared to anything you could have negotiated now.
If it is just about getting a better deal than the next guy maybe you should not have bought a super popular car! You could probably swindle a good deal on a lesser sought after car in this category like a civic!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Civic boooooo

Or should I say CIVID like the logo makes it look like on the commercials lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
deposits are up to a dealership, some require them to place an order, some won't take them. some want 10%, some a fixed amount from $100-$1000, some will take as little as $1. deposits aren't required by ford, it's a good faith agreement telling the dealership "yes i do want this car and am not going to stick you with it." if the car is something that could be easily sold to someone else, they are less likely to require one. if it is something that would be very hard to sell (hot pink focus with purple suede interior) they could even require more. no dealership wants to get a car and have it sit on their lot because they can't sell it.

justy, you could pay a few hundred more, but how much is your time worth while you order and wait for a new vehicle? if you have to cancel and order a new vehicle today you could be expecting a December or January delivery. is it worth it to you?

deposits always have fine print, and unfortunately it's not generally in the buyer's favor. if you want to cancel and it's your decision you might as well kiss the money goodbye regardless if the dealer can sell the car to someone else. unless it is stated in your contract they can sell the car to another party and keep your deposit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have never put down a deposit on any of the cars I have ordered, and I've ordered all of them, never purchased a car off a dealer lot. Remember, if the dealer is going to hold you to an "agreement" then you have the same rights to hold them to deliver the car, that you ordered, with all the options you wanted, at the price you agreed to, in a timely matter. Agreements are two way streets.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Soooo.... You agreed on a price, and you ordered the car. You argued with them about price, but in the end you gave them your deposit so you must have made a deal. Someone got a better price (which is ALWAYS going to happen), now you want to stick the dealer with your ordered car which they will have to try to sell. For $200 or $300.

Suck it up and honor your agreement. If everyone did that, the world would be a much better place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Soooo.... You agreed on a price, and you ordered the car. You argued with them about price, but in the end you gave them your deposit so you must have made a deal. Someone got a better price (which is ALWAYS going to happen), now you want to stick the dealer with your ordered car which they will have to try to sell. For $200 or $300.

Suck it up and honor your agreement. If everyone did that, the world would be a much better place.
I agree with your statement rgonyer. A good deal is when you agree to the price and terms of agreement. Has nothing to do with what the other person paid. At the time of purchase if you felt it was a good price then it was a good price for you.
For the difference of $200-$300 its not worth fighting over after the fact. Also in the future you'll still need to come back to the dealership for servicing and warranty, wouldn't you rather have a good relationship with them instead of that guy who tired to nickel and dime them on a car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm more pissed off that the dealership manager even came by and lied to me saying that if they go below the ford employee price thatthey would get in trouble with ford for doing it. I wouldn't care if they would have just said that they can't afford to go lower (honesty).

·
Registered
48 Posts
That would piss me off too if they lied straight to your face and you found out after the fact.
I agree, they should have told you "we just don't have another $200 to play with" instead of saying they would get in trouble from Ford. Seriously? a dealership getting in trouble for selling a car $200 less but in the end they get another Ford on the road.

·
Registered
444 Posts
when i ordered my car the deal with my dealership was the following:

1) i had to put 500 down

2) if in the time frame of the car being made and delivered changed to a better price i got the better price. If it went up in price i got the price we agreed on with the deposit.

3) if the car came in and i didn't like it, i didn't have to buy it and my money was returned

when the car came in, price had dropped, and i got 1000 off the purchase price.

your dealership sounds like they are trying to screw you

1 - 20 of 41 Posts