Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I have a 2000 Focus with the SOHC Split Port. That should sum things up in a nut shell. No jumping for joy. No shouts of enthusiasm..No just a small wimper and think out loud..what else can go wrong. Bought the car for my daughter to go to college..had 105K on the speedo and the body/interior were both showroom. was able to find out who previous owner was (one owner car) and talk to him about everything involving the upkeep/repair. Gave the car to my daughter on her birthday. have had the car a little over a year. in that time here is the repair list..ignition switch, driver side window fell down off track would not work, ignition keys "went to sleep"(that is what service guy said) and needed to be reprogrammed..and last on the list..The engine imploded.(on her birthday of all days) which I have been finding out is SOP for that engine. Engine cost me 1600 to replace..because that engine is a cash cow to auto recyclers. it now throws a 1131 code which has led me to replace O2 sensor.. among other stuff.

I have a toyota that has 200K, and Envoy that shows 170K, and a Honda that we just stopped counting the miles on her. I am learning to respect owners of any Focus.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
[welcome]

you could always do a zetec swap... for fairly cheap.. it would be cheaper than getting a new car for now.. plus it would last longer (probably until she got out of college)

as far as the other stuff..it could happen to any car

you came to right place for help...

·
Registered
401 Posts
never have a problem with my three focus's, you just never know how a car has been maintained so to think that all focus's have the same issues that your car does isn't the right way to think about it. I personally know of many people that have had numerous issues with GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Dodge etc. Me personally I wouldn't go near a used GM vehicle but, that is just my opinion you see? I seems every other GM car I pass on the road both new and old has a power steering pump whining.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
I have a Focus race car I beat the hell out if(Zetec) I have a 04 SVTF with 180,000 on it and I run it hard also(Duratec), so I am wondering what you expected out of a 150K used car? Not to be an ass but it does have 150K on it. Look s mean nothing on a used car. Now what are your questions about the car? I can nit pick any used car to death no matter the service records or brand.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Its just a matter of time for the SOHC Split Port engine. Most fail right at 100k it seems. Some a little earlier some a little later.

I dont see many with the other issues with the keys, ignition and windows but i expect mine to fail as much as i roll it up and down.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The SPI engine from what I hear is like a grenade waiting to go off. and no they are not cheap. I have a wagon with a bad motor and it's not worth the price of the motor to repair it for resale.

As far as motors go every manufacturer has some bad motors. best bet is know which ones to stay away from.

As far as used GM vehicles I'll take um. The power steering whine must be the ford next to it. Ford PS pumps are built to a tight tollerance so if you blow a line the internals whine after running low on fluid. nothing wrong with the pump just noisy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts