Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work tonight my 2002 zx5 lost all drive. I was pulling away from a stop and heard thump. At that point the car wouldn’t move under it’s own power. Saturday I had to install a new clutch slave cylinder after the one I installed 6 weeks ago broke at the bleeder nipple. It’s possible the driver side side axle wasn’t seated to the point where the c clip was fully in place. I did tug on the axle to check but I may not have tried hard enough. With only the passenger side axle fully in the transmission would the car loose all drive? It was too dark to see anything under the car and I didn’t have a flashlight with me. I’ll go back and look later tonight but I’m hoping for some ideas right now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Driving home from work tonight my 2002 zx5 lost all drive. I was pulling away from a stop and heard thump. At that point the car wouldn’t move under it’s own power. Saturday I had to install a new clutch slave cylinder after the one I installed 6 weeks ago broke at the bleeder nipple. It’s possible the driver side side axle wasn’t seated to the point where the c clip was fully in place. I did tug on the axle to check but I may not have tried hard enough. With only the passenger side axle fully in the transmission would the car loose all drive? It was too dark to see anything under the car and I didn’t have a flashlight with me. I’ll go back and look later tonight but I’m hoping for some ideas right now.
Your Focus transaxle has an open differential. If one axle fails or comes out you will have no drive.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks paul1958. I suspected that was the case but it’s good to have confirmation. I’ll try to have the car towed here tonight and fix it tomorrow.

·
Thats What She Said
10,686 Posts
The spline engagement is deep enough that if the front end was assembled with the axle nut all the way tightened it "should" not just "pop" out. I fear you may have another issue. But axle is a good place to start. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a chance to get a good look at it when the tow truck driver lifted the front end. It was plain to see the axle wasn’t seated. There’s are a ton of pot holes and sunken man hole covers along my daily commute. I’m guessing that I didn’t have it fully seated in the first place and the axle worked it’s way loose while I was driving along.Then as I was accelerating from the stop light it finally let go the rest of the way. I’ve got the day off so I’ll get it back where it belongs today.

·
Thats What She Said
10,686 Posts
I had a chance to get a good look at it when the tow truck driver lifted the front end. It was plain to see the axle wasn’t seated. There’s are a ton of pot holes and sunken man hole covers along my daily commute. I’m guessing that I didn’t have it fully seated in the first place and the axle worked it’s way loose while I was driving along.Then as I was accelerating from the stop light it finally let go the rest of the way. I’ve got the day off so I’ll get it back where it belongs today.
Interesting. The Lower ball joint, the strut, and tie rod end really locks the driver side VC shaft in place through fixing the knuckle.

hopefully it is as simple giving the half shaft a good whack and get the shaft seated. Check the fluid level, I have experianced when an axle is not fully seated it will also leak fluid.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Keep in mind that the drive axle can shorten/lengthen axially, like a - pogo stick due to axial flexure at the CV joints. This necessary to allow the wheel/knucke to turn. Thats why the boots are convoluted as they are:

If the inner end of the drivers axle does not snap in to the trans it will probably work its way out - regardless of how well its held at the outer hub end.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I popped it back into place earlier today and then refilled the transmission with gear oil. Definitely heard and felt the c clip snap into place this time. I’ll keep a close eye on it for awhile just to be sure. Thanks again to everyone for the advice/ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts