Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this sound coming from the front of the car. Sounds like it's on the passenger side. It sounds like a propellar on an airplane and it will only make the sound around 30 MPH and up. I have replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and the cv axle on that side thinking it might have been the center bearing but the noise hasn't gone away. Anyone ever have the idler pully/belt tensioner pully go bad and make the kind of noise I described? I've checked all the other wheel bearings and they seem fine. Not sure what else to check.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the noise starts around 30mph and continues with rpm's could be that. Take the serp belt off and spin the water pump, idler pulley and tensioner. Wiggle them too. Idler pulley cheapest, or just replace the bearing, then tensioner and lastly the water pump.

Good luck

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed, I was gonna say it could be the water pump as well. I would do just that ^^ Take off the belt and see if you can find the culprit. OR invest ( under $20) in a mechanics stethescope. It may allow you to pinpoint the noise ( I use mine all the time )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think about the water pump. I'll check the pully's first and I'll go from there. Thanks for the idea's. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I checked the pully's and they all seem fine. I'm still thinking it is something with the drive/wheelbearings. Like I said I don't hear the noise until I reach around 30 mph and up. So while going down the road and when I started to hear the noise I shifted the car into neutral and reved the engine to see if the noise changed. It didn't so I figure it's something with the driveline. The only thing I know to do is try changing the driverside wheelbearing. I really don't want to be changing or replacing things but????? Any other idea's?

·
Registered
395 Posts
OK I checked the pully's and they all seem fine. I'm still thinking it is something with the drive/wheelbearings. Like I said I don't hear the noise until I reach around 30 mph and up. So while going down the road and when I started to hear the noise I shifted the car into neutral and reved the engine to see if the noise changed. It didn't so I figure it's something with the driveline. The only thing I know to do is try changing the driverside wheelbearing. I really don't want to be changing or replacing things but????? Any other idea's?
Does the car make the noise when you rev it up??

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What does your tire look like?

Swap the front tires if possible and see if the sound follows.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Guessing at these sorts of problems can be expensive. Get a mechanic's stethoscope, raise the front end on jacks, and have somebody run the engine in gear to the speed where the noise happens.

Climb under there, and probe around with the scope....a wheel bearing will be very obvious. A carrier bearing for the passenger side drive shaft can sound very similar. As suggested....worn tires can make these sorts of noises. They won't show up in this sort of test.....but a front/rear rotation should move the sound to the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tires are fairly new. The passenger side wheel bearing and half shaft have been replaced. The only other bearings in the front to be replced would be the drivers side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires are fairly new. The passenger side wheel bearing and half shaft have been replaced. The only other bearings in the front to be replaced would be the drivers side. I have already rotated the tires to see if the noise moved or changed it didn't. I will put it up on jack stands and run it in gear and see if the noise is there. If not it must be the tires.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I don't know if I'd recommend someone to poke around a wheel while the transmission was moving it.

The best way to diagnose a wheel bearing is to jack the car, and spin the wheel. Listen for a noise, and see if you can differentiate the sound of a wheel bearing from the sound of brake pads scraping the rotors. Another test for a bearing is to push and pull on the wheel to see if there is slack. You will notice some slack and a thunk from the transmission where the inner CV enters the transaxle, but that's easy to differentiate from thunks from the bearing.

A humming sound is evident of a bearing failure in FWD vehicles that use bearings in hubs. I haven't heard it on a Focus, but I have heard it on other FWD's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I've checked everything that I could think of. Put it up on jackstands and no noise. I think it has to be something in the tranny. Maybe a differential bearing. I'm just gonna drive it till I have to fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my focus

I have this sound coming from the front of the car. Sounds like it's on the passenger side. It sounds like a propellar on an airplane and it will only make the sound around 30 MPH and up. I have replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and the cv axle on that side thinking it might have been the center bearing but the noise hasn't gone away. Anyone ever have the idler pully/belt tensioner pully go bad and make the kind of noise I described? I've checked all the other wheel bearings and they seem fine. Not sure what else to check.
I have an 05 Focus ZX4 that makes the same noise. I had the wheel bearings replaced and the front axle replaced and still have the sound when the car is going at 30 mph. Next week I am taking it back to a mechanic and he is going to check some more things. It just sucks because it is an 05 with just over 31000 miles. Have you had any luck with yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say it's the rear wheel bearing, i have replced both mine once at 50,000 miles and now I'm on 126,00 miles and they have started howling again... It's time for me o change them again... and in does sound like a plane taking off...

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 126k miles...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts