Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2007 Focus 2.0L with the idler pulley bolt broken off deep in the engine block. The bolt goes into a boss that is unthreaded for almost an inch, and it seems to be broken off where the threads start, 1 inch deep.

Picture here:
https%://i%.imgur%.com/7SIYgwd%.jpg
(not supposed to post link due to account age, you need to remove the %'s)

I'm trying to figure out what is the easiest way to get this out. I have been reading a bunch of similar threads and it is looking like the engine has to be pulled/dropped, which I really don't want to do.

So my main question is: has anyone ever gotten one of these bolts out without removing the whole engine?

Some possible ideas:
-Unbolt the right side engine mount and try to just jack up the belt side of the engine enough to get the bolt out
-Unbolt the engine mount and let the engine drop just a few inches so that this hole is aiming at the wheel well instead of aiming at an engine mount; then I can just blow a hole in the wheel well to get access to the bolt.

More backstory for people researching similar problems:
We were hearing a squeak in the belt area, pretty much at any RPM from idle to 3k. I took the belt off the see what the problem was, and the idler pulley basically fell out. It was just being held into the unthreaded part of that hole by belt tension.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, New member here.... I'm in the same boat.....

Has anyone performed this ...... any advice... engine up or down?

Can anyone direct me to a procedure for engine removal.?

.... I've been under this thing for a couple of hours today and I'm not seeing a lot of room to go down....but I'm new to the Ford Focus.

On another note.... I was wanting to find out if this bolt was in a blind hole or through hole. In the discussion thread " Another Broken Idler Bolt" a member made a comment that made it sound like this was a blind hole, so I wanted to confirm what I had... mine is a through hole...okay good.... In the looking process i was loosening the alternator to get a look around the corner and I was able to remove the fasteners but the alternator slides down the studs and basically contacts the firewall ...... Do I have to remove the studs to replace an alternator?... Ford Engineers deserve a special place in hell......... I truly believe that an engineer should demonstrate every basic maintenance procedure prior to company sign off.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I always loosened the passenger side engine mount and jacked the engine up to replace pulleys and the alternator, just to have room to remove bolts (yes, the idler bolt is 1/8" too long). Never tried jacking the body up and letting the engine drop.

I have, on many occasions, cursed the engineers who design these things, but so far it hasn't done any good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always loosened the passenger side engine mount and jacked the engine up to replace pulleys and the alternator, just to have room to remove bolts (yes, the idler bolt is 1/8" too long). Never tried jacking the body up and letting the engine drop.

I have, on many occasions, cursed the engineers who design these things, but so far it hasn't done any good.

Would this allow me to drill out the idler bolt....? I just seems so far to go to get it high enough to get a drill there..... I can see the better access...

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,469 Posts
I would remove the passenger side mount, drop the torque strut (dogbone) mount, and loosen (but not remove) the tranny mount to allow the engine to the jacked up as much as possible. Jack under the pan near the passenger side with block of wood (like a 2X6) on top of the floor jack. Have some carefully watching as the engine is jacked up so as not to destroy anything...jack slowly. After raising, put a wood block tightly between the frame and the engine for safety just in case it slips...you don't want to loose a hand.
You should now be able to drill a hole and use an Ez-out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts