Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I would like to know what does it mean when I get a twitching @ idle after driving. I did change the spark plugs.....but I noticed that the light thats on in the control panel may flicker @ the same time while in idle n sometimes it might idle too low then shut off...doesnt happen as much when octane boost or tretment is add...but still present but alot less...no engine light

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like it may need some maintenance. Plugs and wires may not be a bad idea if they haven't been changed since new. As time and usage passed the spark plug gap opens up from the electricity eroding the electrode and the ground strap. A gap that is too large can be harder for electricity to "jump" and ignite the air/fuel mixture, and at idle the available voltage from the alternator is generally less. That can mean that a slight ignition miss may only appear at or near idle.

There are other possibilities, as there always are, but I'd say the plugs would be the cheapest guess and are probably needed anyways. My recommendation for brand is Autolite or Motorcraft for plugs and wires something cheap and low resistance is all you really need (I run the cheap Autozone wires and they work just fine).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts