Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Focus SVT that came with a short ram intake, otherwise stock. I had issues before with the car stalling when braking, resulting in me changing out the IAC valve. I was glad to see that it no longer stalled, but I do feel and see the rpm lower and raise, ranging from 400rpm to about 1100rpm when braking only. It's a slow raise up and down then back up, though the car is totally fine when I come to a stop and resumes idle smoothly.

It's at about 147,000 miles right now. I have noticed that the idle have a small little "putt" here and there, which is extremely faint and only happens about every minute when stationary. It's super minimal, and may not be part of the issue, though when the lights are on, the display lights for the millage flicker ever so slightly. I had the alternator and battery and all that checked our at an O'Reilly, which was deemed just fine.

Any ideas regarding the wavy idle when braking? Could the slight flickering in the lighting panel be part of this? Recommendations?

·
Registered
125 Posts
What would be the cost? Also, got some other things to fix prior. Think bad valve cover gaskets could affect idle?
Valve cover gaskets leak oil when bad, which is the giveaway and also a problem with a glowing exhaust header in the vicinity. Gaskets are cheap; just be sure to torque the covers correctly and not strip the threads. Do yourself a favor and buy a Haynes shop manual for the car; lots of diagnostics and how-to in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.