Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

2011 Focus SE with 17,000 miles on it.

While waiting at a light, I noticed the my RPM needle was jumping around. It wasn't huge at all, just slightly moving up and down. I put the car into test mode to get a digital readout of the RPMs, and sure enough they are jumping from 690-750. They mostly stick around 710-730, but they constantly move.

I've unplugged the battery to reset everything and then let it relearn the idle, but this didn't change anything.

Not sure if this is normal or what, just curious since I haven't experienced this in any other cars I've owned.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has! [cheers]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Depends on if you have the air on or not. When I have the fans on (regardless of it's A/C, heat, or outside air), my RPMs will hover around that area, but will keep going up and down.

From a cold start, the RPMs will stick around 1000 for me. I'd say it's normal, though I had that same question when I first got the car. The idle isn't perfect, but I've never stalled!

I have a 2011 SE with just about 22k miles on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on if you have the air on or not.
Sorry for leaving this out; It happens with the fan off and on. Of course, while it's on the RPMs are slightly higher but still bounce.

And [offtopic] but, I love your headlights... Think I'm going to have to do that to mine pretty soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Idle fluctuation is pretty common for the duratec.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
And [offtopic] but, I love your headlights... Think I'm going to have to do that to mine pretty soon.
Thanks! If you end up buying a set, let me know if you have any questions about install!

I definitely love how they make the front end look.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
While waiting at a light, I noticed the my RPM needle was jumping around. It wasn't huge at all, just slightly moving up and down. I put the car into test mode to get a digital readout of the RPMs, and sure enough they are jumping from 690-750. They mostly stick around 710-730, but they constantly move.
Hi JHarms,

As the others have said, RPM fluctuation is perfectly normal. [:)] You can drive your Focus worry-free.

~Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts