Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my focus about 4 months ago and it has developed a really bad idle problem. The whole car will jerk and shake when I am stopped and sometimes it stalls. I took it to Ford and they put a new engine coil on and new spark plugs. It still does it sometimes, just not as bad. It only seems to be doing it more when i have the heater and radio on at the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 2002 ZTS with 76,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
man i dont know what to tell u about that. i have the same car and it does the same thing and it doesnt do it all the time just every now and then. so if you find anything out let me know

·
Registered
305 Posts
prolly cause idols cant respond to you.
sry.

kinda sounds like a vac problem.
if you can get the car started, let it run while checking the vac line thats directly behind the intake mani. itll make a 90 deg turn into the block. sometimes these elbows collapse or rupture.

i would suggest that first.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
lol, I edited it for the correct idle and not idol.

Vacuum leaks are common, as Zeromus said, as are EGR issues and Idle Air Control Motors being gummed up. But first thing I would check is the grounds, corrosion, and check the gap of the spark plugs (between .050" and .060" is the norm I guess).

·
Registered
324 Posts
i agree with what iminhell said... since u say it seems worse when theres more electrical load, id look at the grounds too.. yea vac leaks are VERY common on the focus.. maybe clean out ur IACV too? wouldnt hurt to do that. do u have a live data scanner? could have a looksee at fuel trims.. possible fuel starvation due to a clogged fuel filter? especially when ur motor has 76k on it. who knows... its hard to say when there are no codes being thrown by the ecu..

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Looking for a vacuum leak is a good place to start. Like others have said, look at the back of the intake and the 90* elbow is a good place to start. They go bad all the time. Check the rubber line coming off it too to make sure it didn't collapse on itself. After that, if the problem is still there, I would go after the idle air control valve on the intake and replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts