Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 focus, 90,000 miles 2.3 engine. Rough idle sometimes stalls. I removed the air intake tube at the throttle body and the engine idles so i assumed the the air filter was bad but after taking all the air tubes, hoses, boxes i can find an air filter. (this is a 2.3 ztec engine with the intake manifold on the radiator side) The Haynes repair book has no photos and little information on the 2.3. My other thought was to remove and clean??? the idle control valve which i think is a cylinder shape about 4" long, mounted verticlly, on the radiator side of the throttle body. Anybody have this problem or ideas .. . . thanks Don

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
seems we're getting a lot of this kind of problem now, lol..... but anyway, sounds like a leak in one of the vacuum lines..... if you know what they are, get some carb cleaner and spray it along the lines, and from what I've heard it gets sucked into the line and you find your leak [thumb]

another possibility is the fuel filter may be clogged and I bet that would cause a rough idle....... I'm also willing to bet you have a 2.3L Duratec, and it's probably the PZEV model, so if I'm not mistaken, I do believe it has a stupid integrated panel air filter like the 06 models do, in the fender (actually that last big about the air filter integration, I'm not completely sure about......)

OR......if you have the intake tube and the rectangular box but no filter, someone forgot to put one in...

and [welcome] to FF [:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zx3 Rough idle

I have a 2004 2.3l PZEV that idles rough after idling about a minute, then runs rough and coughs when accelerating. After a few seconds it runs fine. It starts fine, and runs good any other time. I get a P0171 lean cylinder bank 1 code on a reader. I pulled 1 of the small hoses off 1 of the 2 small valves (Right One) that sit on top of the intake in the front of the engine and plugged it and it smooths right out. Can anyone tell me what these valves are called, and what they do? I changed the plugs, and fuel filter and no difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts