Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 focus with a dohc the car will sit there and idle fine till i put it in to grear some times when i take it out of park the car trys taking off with out touching the gas that and it also trys to take off as it turn the wheel either way has any one had this problem or no where to start looking

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
In The "How To" stickies at the top there is a description of how to use the odo. as a tach to see the actual rpm as a diagnostic tool.. - that would help in figuring this out if you do not have a tach. in the car...

Idle rpm is supposed to increase BOTH when putting it into gear AND when turning the wheel to prevent the engine from stalling....

Actual RPM, both at idle AND when in gear & not moving is needed to determine whether it's working as designed....

It's more common for it to fail by NOT increasing rpm as it should, than your apparent issue of too much of an increase - so numbers are needed to help with diagnosis....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont no if it would have any thing to do with it but i did a motor swap from sohc to a dohc i have tryed every thing and cant fig it out

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
On the back of the power steering pump , there a pressure switch. If you turn the steering wheel , while at a stop. It will send a signal to the IAC to increase the rpm's to make turning the wheel easier. Normal. Also if you have the AC on the rpm will increase also. And as far as taking it out of gear, the rpms will increase , just from the load being taken of the engine. It should only be for a second or two. It sounds like it could be an IAC problem. Remove and clean or replace. Check it like this. Turn your AC on, idle should increase with AC comp engages, and lower when it disengages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts