Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Idle + Any Electrical (heater,defroster..) = Almost stall (Newbie)

hi guys, i just got a ford focus 2000 and i have some concern about it.

whenever my car is in idle and i turn the rear defroster or the fan, my engine gets a very low rpms , it never stalls but the car is shaking like hell and when im in drive its worst than if in im park. i don't know if its an alternator or battery problem or anything like it , ill go check at a garage to test my battery and my alternator, but i read somewhere else that this is not the problem.. now im confuse. Plz help a newbie in the mechanic world :)

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There's a device on the Focus called an "idle control motor/valve".

It can be called by other names. Basically it speeds up the idle when a load is put on the engine.

If you're idling for instance, and then turn on the AC, or a fan, or a defroster, this valve will speed up the idle to keep the engine from idling too slow.

These things can usually be taken off the engine and cleaned out using carb or electronic cleaner/spray. That sometimes will get them working again. That certainly sounds like the problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
deffinitly the IAC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump. :( but i have an another problem too, its the battery light , always comes and go comes and go , i read somewhere the battery light is related to only the alternator and not the battery.. i dont know if its true. and what would cause this come and go of the light. maybe its a broken wire and sometimes close the circuit or open it if i hit a bump or something?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
The IAC isn't easy to get to on our cars, and they are not that expensive, just get a new one if you are going to pull it off. It"ll last 100k.

Also, check the battery and charging system, any local autoparts store can do it for you. Some ( advanced, autozone, etc.) will check it for free. Or if you have a meter, it should be pumping out 14.4 volts or so, anything below 13.5 is an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks ill ask my mechanic to check the IAC and change it , i think its worth it , i hate the shaking :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some people are telling me that it might be the EGR valve...

what is the difference between the IAC and EGR valve.

i searched on the internet and i found some defitions but i still cant make my mind on what they do differently and why they both could affect the idle.

plz help me

·
Registered
342 Posts
no the egr is a emissions. have your iac changed and that may also fix your battery light

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any tips on where the valve is located or any pictures? or anything?

can i do the job myself or i need to go to a mechanic

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Forget the EGR valve thing.....they never give those symptoms when they fail. As suggested above, I think the IAC valve removal process on your engine, requires taking off the intake manifold. (I don't have that engine on my Focus)

This is probably too much of a job for a beginner DIY mechanic.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts