Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 zx3 Throttle body is warped so the flap sticks shut when i let off the gas... I was told in a different thread on here to adjust the idle screw so the flap dosent get jammed. Put it up about a 3/16" with no help to problem or change to idle... How far can I move it before it changes idle and causes issues?

·
FF Affiliate
31,093 Posts
The idle screw doesnt set the idle , the ECU and the Idle Air Control Valve does , if you go to much you will have hanging revs , stalling , time for rpm to come down could be very long and more

If you take the TB off and use some sand paper around the sharp edges and where the plate hits the body , that has always worked good for me

To properly set the TB screw , unhook the IACV , start the engine , set idle to about 650-680 , rehook IACV , for a Focus with a tune set idle to about 850

Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of tried that aleady... It helped for a while then seemed to go back to how it was... I really just need to replace the tb...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you can't adjust the plate position/stop screw/smooth the plate/bore enough, to both let it open/close smoothly & still close enough to get the low base idle setting Tom mentioned with the IAC disconnected - a replacement is the only option left to achieve normal operation.

(terrible run on sentence to list all the options)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i just had a great job interview so hopefully within a month or two i can replace my who tb and intake! (Going with a 65mm tb and volant intake) will i need to reprogram at all for that?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
no you wont. the car can "learn" from that change the TB wont really net you any power increase but should improve throttle feel. this is a hard metric to measure.

However, that being said, our cars do wonders with a good tune even stock and just get better once you start adding mods.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Define tune? You mean like normal maintanece stuff? Or a real tune? I don't know how to truly tune the engine...

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
as in get a OBD2 programmer such as the XCal from SCT and get someone that knows how to adjust the ECU on the car.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Thats the great thing is if you get one from a good tuner like Tom here on the forum they will provide you free updates as you mod your car. that way its not an off the self tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts