Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ZX3 with 5 speed manual, approx 37k miles on it, bought used recently. The car makes a weird rattle noise from idle to about 2k rpms, I think its the transmission doing it. It happens in any gear as long as there it a load on it. Its noticeable but not annoying. Does anyone elses focus do this? Is it normal? Why does it do this? Will different transmission fluids quiet this down or stop it. OH, btw, I noticed it is definately a lot louder and noticeable when the car is warmed up versus when its cold.

Thanks,
Banshee99

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, nobody knows what I'm talking about. Thats ok. Considering I bought this vehicle used, and it only does it when its warmed up, Im thinking maybe the previous owner had it changed and didnt use the right fluid in there... My search results show the following info:

Manual Transmisssion Fluid - IB5: Calls for Synthetic Manual Trans Fluid Ford part #XT-M5-QS

Manual Transmisssion Fluid - MTX 75: Calls for Mercon ATF Fluid

I'm going to change the fluid to see if the sound goes away, but what do I have? IB5 or MTX 75?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have the same issue, mine just does it at low RPMs no matter what load or warm/cold. Its like a weird slight rattle/gear turning sound, but its kinda loud to be normal, its always done it and the fluid is new and the right kind, I dunno, I have 56k miles

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you had the car since new? --askin since you said its always done it. Maybe new fluid won't help it. Maybe I need a new tranny to fix it..... how much are trannys?

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
This just sounds like normal gear noise. You might want to get a mechanic to drive it, but it's probably normal.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
its it has done that since new...then its normal...if it has just started recently. i'd say shit may start to happen, focaltech has had the same problem...and when theres more than one person in the car, you can actually feel it in the passenger seat.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
g0o53 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but MTX trannies don't require Transmission fluid... [rofl]
huh?wtf...what r you talking about?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine does the same thing between idle and 2k rpms. I bought mine used with like 25,000 miles on it. How do I check the manual transmission fluid?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think you can really "check" the fluid without draining it. It will probably have a threaded plug that as soon as you take it out fluid will start pouring out. You probably should change it though with as many miles that are on it. Also, check out this link http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/mtlti.htm I think I'm going to go with the MT 90 as it is the thicker of the two, especially when warmed (and thats when I really hear it)... says it will quiet gear noise. Anyone have any good leads on where to order RedLine oil products?? If no answer on this by tomorrow, I'm going to call Summit Racing and order it and will let everyone know if it helps when I get it in.

Banshee99

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok, well where do I put the fluid in? And where is the plug? This is like the only thing I still don't know about maintenance on my focus. I know where everything else is.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
just take a look at the tranny...if not run a search, i've desribed that before.

banshee: many people have actually said that its almost impossible to shift when the tranny is cold...not something i like to hear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, define cold. I live in Phoenix, AZ.. it doesnt get cold here. Second, you are referring to the Red Line MTL oil in the focus causing the hard shifting when cold??

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know what you'r talking about, my car has only got about 2500 miles on it and it does the same thing. I was semi-concerned about it, so I took it to Ford. They said it was normal, but I don't know how much to trust them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I dont trust ford much, but I guess if all of our cars are doing it and we dont have any other serious problems, maybe it is normal

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point. It seems its happening to alot of us regardless of mileage so it might be semi normal. I have purchased some RedLine MTL and will be putting it in this weekend. RedLine claims it deadens gear rattle, and is much thicker than ATF yet they claim "slippery" enuff to shift even at low temperatures. Even if it just noticeably quiets it down I'd be happy... Cause I know it would also be protecting my tranny 10x's better than standard Mercon ATF. I'll let everyone know how it goes soon enuff.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts