Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started with 4 x 44mm 1000cc GSXR Throttle Bodies. My buddy is in school for machining / custom fab. I gave him a stock SVT intake manifold and some space dimensions to work with.

I properly spaced out the throttle bodies, modded a svt TPS sensor that should work, and a linkage that works seemlesly. I then took the throttle bodies to my friend at his college shop.

So far a custom CNC Intake Flange has been cut and runners which will angle the throttle body openings strait up have been tig welded along with injector bungs. Ill be taking my focus up this comming weeked for test fit. I will take pics then.

I do believe its time to consider tuning ideas. I think this may actually work out rather than be a complete flop like I was thinking. Everything actually looks really nice and meets all the dimensions I took. The only problem will be a little massaging (cutting) of the hood may be needed for the throttle body inlets.

ANY INPUT IS WELCOME.... this started out as a dumb idea and I actually think we are getting somewhere!! [thumb]

-Rick

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Through my research it seems like my only 2 options are to go stand alone or make a custom air box routing to the MAF.

My buddy with his integra are lucky with thier MAP systems. He has a set of gsxr 600 tb's on his honda (where i got the idea) and its AWSOME!

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Ok this subject is rather foreign to me. What is the advantage of ITBs?

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
Endless Mike said:
You know how putting a bigger throttle body in gives better airflow and throttle response?

Imagine four times that.
This only goes so far, The engine has to be able to take all the air in efficiently if it cannot then it is no better then the stock intake and TB

Just because you install ITB`s the size of 4 trash cans does not always mean it will make more power

Tom

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I have toyed around with this idea and may be my next big mod. The maf can be handled by making a tapered plenum with a 4" inlet on the end.

G

·
how about converting all of the MAF sensor readings to a MAP sensor reading.

I believe it would take some time to retune the MAF tables to appropriate MAP sensor readings, but in a sense could be used in that manner.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think thats a question for Tom... any input?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HTPerformance said:
how about converting all of the MAF sensor readings to a MAP sensor reading.

I believe it would take some time to retune the MAF tables to appropriate MAP sensor readings, but in a sense could be used in that manner.
I think thats a question best answered by tom.. any input?

-Rick

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I already stated that it can be done with a tapered aluminum plenum chamber on top of the ITB's. This is the best way for the MAF issue. It will also be much easier to tune if done this way. The only thing that you need for this is a calibrated meter for what injector size you need and TP control. I have put alot of work into finding the proper way to do this and have found the right guy to do it. He also makes a shorter intake to clear the firewall with the plenum chamber. Also, doing the setup this way can be legal when tuned correctly.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Tom stated earlier that this setup may not make more power, he is correct in the since that if you put a setup like this on a basically stock motor, it wont be able to flow with the ITB's. You have to do more work than simply installing these. ITB;s work on an engine that can flow more air and higher RPM;s than normal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When i said "a question for tom" I was refering to converting over to MAP. Although I do think a MAF system would much simplify things... I have some more re-search to do and consider my options... ANY INPUT IS WELCOME

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's why you see Caterham 7's with 200hp NA zetecs. They might have to rev high to get the power, but they're doing it with itb's.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am keeping my eyes open for a stock SVT head? ANYBODY???? I have a machine shop right down the street that ported and polished my LT4 heads for a really good price.

My aim is individual throttle bodies, port and polish on the head, and hopefully by that time a cam.

I do believe by getting rid of the dual stage runners and replacing it with the throttle bodies will make dyno tuning a little easier... maybe?

I also want to do a dyno roll to get some base numbers before to actually see what I get (i think this is a must and im sure everyone wants to see proof)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The advantage of the ITBs really isn't in power, although as said at higher revs it definitely helps, but the instant throttle response that they allow. There's a lot to be said for getting that power right now instead of even a fraction of a second later. Imagine how a couple tenths of a second of throttle response every time you go from low or mid to WOT would add up at the AutoX or track...

I'd like to see how you get these to work, especially fitting them in a way that gets them cool air in betwee the intake and the firewall...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Just because you install ITB`s the size of 4 trash cans does not always mean it will make more power

Tom

lol what about if I put a Vtec sticker on my windshield?

Throttle response and sound must be pretty sweet though...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The inlets of the carbs will be facing up towards the hood. So when theres a hole in my hood and the filter element is sticking out, it should get some nice fresh air. I do believe the headwork, cam, and individual tb's will bake for a really responsive runner :)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The ITB's and carbs that are essentially the same principal, do make more HP. Not just at the higher rpms. We have done quite a few on vw's, 2.0l ABA engines and can tell you, the last one we did, made over 240 hp all motor on a single cam setup. This engine was completely streetable and race ready. The car was a '91 GTi that, when finished, weighed just a tick over 1600lbs and was a rocket with that kind of HP. That car actually destroyed the first trans and we had to build a trans to match it after that.lol. Heres that engine.......

You guys may find this funny, but i built this engine right here in the parts dept, lol. Im building a JDM H22 in here now for the parts manager.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts