Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[wrenchin] Need some help here. My daughter driver an 05 focus that has run perfict up to now. it has 95,000 miles on it. She called me two nights ago and told me that her car dies almost every time she comes to a stop. Just started out of the blue with no warning.
When I run it it starts fine but almost right off the bat it starts to run rough. if I let it idel it will chug sputter and stall. If I give it gas it runs great with no issues. To me it sounded like the Air intake was restricted. So I started looking at the air intake system. I found that if I disconecet the air intake pipe just before the engin the darn thing runs great. If I start the car and wait for it to start to stall all I have to do is disconect the air intake and the idel comes right back. I checked and there is on restriction in the air intake. The filter is fine, a pain to get to but fine. So just for the heck of it I disconected the Mass air flow sensor. (I am assuming thats what it is. It is located between the air filter and the resonator)
When I do this the car idels GREAT. When I plug it back in she dies.
The only negitave affect that I can see from unpluging the MAF other than the check engin light on now is that it shifts real hard.
AM I WAY OFF BASE HERE? MAF is about $160.00 . Want to be sure.

Can it be cleaned in any way?

Help!!!!!!!

Richard

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
you can try cleaning it but it sounds like a dead MAF...ive also had simuilar problems when my TPS went out.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
TPS = Throttle postition sensor, its located on the throttle body

before spending more than you have to id grab a can of MAF cleaner and spray it like dirtbrown said

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
low idel stall

Thanks for the advice. [pray]
I will give cleaning the MAF a shot and let you know what happens. Will also check out the TPS.

[ffrocks]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You can also clean it carefully with alcohol and a Q-tip. It's shaped like a card, and you can only install it in one direction, it should be held in by two screws. Once you remove it, you'll see two slits in the sides of the MAF- clean the resistors you can see in those little windows- if you see a broken resistor, then you simply need a new MAF.

Have you tried turning on the AC while idling to see if the idle corrects itself? You could have a bad IAC- idle air control. If the idle goes up, then the IAC is ok, if not, you need a new IAC. You should still clean the MAF, that's wise to do every 25k or so. You should also check your owner's manual on how to test the factory air filter, and make sure it is still flowing well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts