Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 01 zx3 and I needed more lighting at night so I installed auxiliary driving lights hidden behind the lower grill. 55watt bulbs were not bright enough so I replaced with 100 watt bulbs, result was brighter, but not enough. I know being behind the grill retricts it but not much so I noticed the lenses had that antiglare coating that gives the light that rainbow effect and realized all it's doing is filtering my light, so I wanna remove the coating,sooo how do I do it? Take them apart like the headlights? Would that coating be on the inside or outside of the lense? Please help I need to see!!!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
im guessing you dont have fog lights..

I did that once, the whole light behind the grill deal. I finally decided to get OEM fogs and put them in the OEM location and it dramatically imporved the light output. Another option would be to get a set of Rally lights that you could mount on your bumper

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the factory fogs... Tinted yellow with 50 watt bulbs very bright!!! I use them for bad weather I use the screenwriter to add light not see the X-ray of the car infront of me like the factories lol. Any idea how to get rid of the antiglare coating?

·
slow
1,734 Posts
drive slower?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol I always obay the law. I just want to remove that coating can no one help?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
i guess you could take the bulbs out and take the coating off of those...
I honestly have no idea how to take the coating off of the lens

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bulbs are clear. Kwillet you think the coating is on the outside???

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bulbs are clear. Kwillet you think the coating is on the outside???
yea i figured the coating wouldnt be on the bulbs. I think it should be on the lenses. Let me know if u think this is wrong. Id like to know this fix also because i really want to do the same with putting lights behind the grill but ill wait till all the bugs are worked out.

edit: it could possibly be on the inside? just do both sides with a restore kit and call it good.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
you could buy a headlight restoration kit and wetsand them down and then polish and laminx them
This is most likely your best bet as it's possibly just the coating like you stated. Although, the rainbowing could be embedded into the plastic and no way to take it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dot 3 brake fluid and a rag. One rag to apply the brake fluid and one to buff it to a nice shine.
Did my headlights to remove the yellow haze and they are good as new. Just be careful not to get any on the paint.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are 20 dollar cheapos I'm thinking it's just a coating on them, I'll totally let you know how it goes. Dot 3 eh? Think it could work?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Dot 3 brake fluid and a rag. One rag to apply the brake fluid and one to buff it to a nice shine.
Did my headlights to remove the yellow haze and they are good as new. Just be careful not to get any on the paint.
DOT 3 (or any kind of brake fluid) is the most effective way to remove the clearcoat and paint off your vehicle, especially if you'll be wiping near it! It's a quick fix for old headlights and the effect is less permanent than even a specific paint-safe plastic headlight polish... The 3M kit is a resurfacer that starts with a rough cut and goes through 4 or 5 descending grits of sandpaper until you end up with a 2500 grit pad and plastic polish... you scrub away minute layers and polish it back to new, those other chemicals last about 1-3 months.

It's a $20 kit at Advanced or Wal-Mart, you'll do more damage than that to yer paint if brake fluid even drips on the paint (you have to gently spray it off with water if it happens).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are autozone cheapos I looked today at work and that rainbow coating is actually on the reflectors of the lights.... I'm thinking it'll be more difficult to remove it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correction advanced automates cheapos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts