Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recently looking for a cheap way to connect my ipod to my factory '01 headunit. The head unit does not have support for a cd changer, so that is a dead end.

Everyone knows why no one wants to use an FM transmitter.

But I have been wondering, is there any way I can connect the ipod directly to the antenna? Perhaps by choping up any old FM transmitter? I am guessing I would have no radio functionality while using this but I figure I can connect it to a switch.

Does anyone have any input or know of something like this, or someone that has tried this?

·
Registered
621 Posts
to the best of my knowledge, there arent any cheap, nor easy ways to accomplish this. there are a couple of real slick workarounds you might want to consider however, but all of them require a new head unit.

I have the 9006 audiophile HU and I wanted to do something similar, but when I asked about non-FM applications even the guys at best buy were at a bit of a loss, outside of buying a new head unit.

i even asked around about inline antennae options, which btw would in fact be an FM solution, but it cuts out most of the signal loss, and i've yet to find any such product.

and chopping an old transmitter to make your own inline would be nearly impossible, since there isnt any likely chance of wiring output leads to the RF transmitter...not that i've taken any of my old ones apart, but i have a pretty good electronics background, and its not something most manufacturers would have allowed for in their design.

if youre one of those people that gets a kick out of doing things the hard way, though:

if signal degradation when using an fm transmitter is a serious concern of yours, there is one other possible option, if your focus has the overhead console located directly beneath the antennae.

not sure about the standard '01, but on my '04 SVT, there is a panel lid that the sunroof control is mounted to which pops off pretty easilly, and theres a decent amount of space up there that can be used for all sorts of things, the details of which i will leave to the limits of your imaginations ;-)

find an fm transmitter that will fit in this compartment, which will be placing it more or less right next to the antenna. if youre having trouble with this, I use a Dynex DX-MP3FM transmitter that I already know will fit, since i considered this project briefly for myself. from there its a simple matter of tearing it apart, installing a static 5v power supply and new power switch somewhere more accessible, unless you want to pop the lid every time you turn the transmitter on/off, then run an extention cable on the pin connector down the pillar, under the dash, and then to the console, you'll probably need about 15' of extention length.

personally, I'd drop the ~$120 on a new head unit with rca's in your situation. in my case, finding a radio thats comparible to or better than my 9006 audiophile isn't cheap, and I'd much rather drop that cash into performance rather than toys now that the big speakers are installed.

hope the idea helps you, or gets the gears turning for other solutions...

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
sounds like you're stuck with some sort of inline FM modulater similar to the drive and play, or even a gereric one that has RCA inputs.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i have this:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html
and it r0x0rs the big !!1!one!!!

they may have something like this for the earlier HU's, i dunno. But it basically plugs into the back of my stock HU and i have a 1/8'' stereo jack (comes with stereo RCA jack, bought a converter) sticking out the bottom so i can plug my iriver....pod into it and have a direct line in.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I eventually just bit the bullet and got an aftermarket HU installed...iPod is as clear as a new CD now [thumb]

·
Registered
250 Posts
When are they gonna make a HU with a simple usb connector and hdd built in or big flash memory so you can upload your song to it?
What I 'd like to see is a HU that has a LCD with hdd which you can hook up your laptop/usb key or whatever and upload to it. I mean, this HU will play dvd files, avi (divx, xvid, etc.) mp3, wma, mp4, , etc..
I guess if they would make one as versatile as this, I would have to get a new mortgage on my house, LoL.
If there is something out there simular to this, please oh please let me know.
P.S. No laptop solution please! I've thought of this before... no good. It has to be a HU.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I have seen a cheapo at Wal-Mart with a USB and SanDisk (I believe) slot in it....stuck my jumpdrive in, and it played my songs out of there.....

here it is:

USB/SanDisk HU

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks to everyone who replied. i was on vacation with my family so excuse my absence.

after doing some research onto the topic i began to feel as though a new H/U would be the best deal, and just last night my cd player started crapping out on me. it skips and stutters on all the cds i have, even brand new unscratched ones.

so i was looking at headunits and i found this: Nakamichi cd400

I like the simple, clean look of it - i dont want a real flashy h/u. Only, this oneis rather expensive. Does anyone here a.) have expierence with this head unit and b.) intending to sell one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts