Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a pretty good search, I have not been able to find any info about catback or simple muffler/tailpipe mods for an 06 ZXW PZEV. Marcy Motorsports, et. al have some nice systems but they're usually hatchback specific and yet I've seen some nice custom wagon exhaust systems on this site. Anyone have any ideas/recommendations? My goal would be to have some performance gain, some appearance gains, and most importantly, some quality audible gains. Any help you can lend is appreciated. Peace, Mickkirk

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
MBRP or you could get a custom exhaust done at a good muffler shop, which is what I did with my Grand Prix GTP and I had them install Magnaflow mufflers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check it out. Peace, mickkirk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to the nice folks at MBRP yesterday and they informed me that the wagon specific exhaust is designed to work with non-PZEV wagons. On my vehicle there are two cats separated by a flange and it is at this flange that the MBRP unit bolts on.
Here comes the scrupples question. Ideally, in a less stingent emissions world, I'd take off the second cat and bolt on the cat back system in a second. Legally, I'm not sure that I can get away with it BUT....and here's the question: will the average mechanic down the road know that this car orignally had two cats if I take one off and bolt on the system? It would seem to be a waste to start cutting perfectly good steel to splice the systems together (leaving the second cat on).

I guess it boils down to this: What can one realistically get away with? Has anyone tried either removing the second cat in a California emissions standards state OR splicing with the second cat on? -mickkirk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm fairly certain if they do a visual check and you have one cat present you're going to pass. Sniffer and ODBII tests shouldn't be a problem at all with a single cat.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mastodon said:
I'm fairly certain if they do a visual check and you have one cat present you're going to pass. Sniffer and ODBII tests shouldn't be a problem at all with a single cat.
I would worry that with a visual check they would look under the car and not see a cat and raise the red flag. Sure there is the mani-cat, but it could be easily missed in a quick visual check.

IIRC, at least a couple of other Fanatics are running the MBRP clamped after the second cat.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Another FF has the MBRP exhaust but retained the stock cat. There are a couple of ways of doing this. First I'll explain what you get- I have this exhaust and a ZXW too. You get 3 sections of pipe to replace your one -piece stock system. The first section is what bolts up to the exhaust flange after the flex pipe. This would delete the 2nd cat. The next section contains the muffler and the 2 x 90 deg bends where the exhaust crosses the underside of the car, the front side is fit for a clamp, and the back side of the muffler is flanged. The last piece is the tailpipe that fits from the muffler to the bumper, this piece connects to the flange on the muffler.

You can install the system without using the resonator pipe, and simply cut your stock system and install the muffler and tailpipe section only. If you do this with clamps, I suggest a second clamp next to the supplied clamp turned the opposite way.

Another FF, who has a TIG apparently, cut the flange, flipped the resonator, and installed the 2nd cat just after the flange. Not too many people have a TIG welder laying around, but it is possible to have the part cut and the old cat installed after the fact by a muffler shop.

The exhaust is a good exhaust, but is a bit loud when first installed. After a few weeks or so it seems that it quiets down- or maybe I just got used to it. With the cat installed I'm sure the system sounds great- I personally really like the sound. It's difficult to get a deep tone from a 4 cyl exhaust and MBRP did it just great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, thank you all for your words of wisdom. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the rig.
Peace, mickkirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts