Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at our stock setup and thought about something. The more air you get through the filter the better. So I began to think how I could do this.. I came up with the idea to take the right size pcv pipe and stick it slightly down the snorkle tub and cut it right at the point where the filter sets at. It's like, hold your hand close to a air gun and then farther away. I think this will work but at the same time i'm not sure.. It may get to much air when your cruising down the highway?

Opinions on this would be helpfull. [wave]

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
would have some probs if air filter wasnt on/in. it is based on how much air but also how cool the air is..hot air is whats causing mine to bog at low rpms even with a dstune from tom. at night my car runs really smooth. but day time i usually turn the a/c off to take off then turn it back on once i get going. so really need something to get cooler air by the time it hits the intake or am i wrong??

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
You also have to remember, if you're talking about putting alot more air in, u will have to get a tune else you will run lean!!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the ecu would be able to make the ajustment right? I wouldn't think it would be much more air. But it's diffenetly something to look into.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump for more opinions?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you would need a wider MAF prolly as well, that would require the svt setup or a better one than the svt. just go w/ the svt setup or a regular CAI, you will be best off!!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The completely stock setup out flows a volant. I saw a chart of it some time ago. I'll have the svt snorkle here very soon and i have already made something to get much more air to the snorkle. Oh and i've also got a k&n filter. So i'm far a head of anything you could buy, I would think. I guess i'll just do it when i get the new snorkle and do a 45-50 punch and see if my butt notices a difference!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I also have the volant intake.. I used the tube from the tb to the box instead of the stock one.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The air box isn't worth doing.
You can buy piping that joins at the front of the air pod.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ i dont understand what your talking about?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How would it melt? j/w. Though metal is a better idea. It would look nicer I think.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
pvc cant handle temps at all it is made cheap and has one purpose to hold in water. the intake idea may work but a cold air intake or svt would be better and as fas as dyno the airbox they are not accurate because you dont have the air coming at the snorkle or at the intake

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Guys... your not going to melt PVC piping under the hood.... unless its laying across the header.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
If I understand this correctly, you want to extend the opening from the snorkle in the lower portion of the air box so there's no gap between the filter and the opening?

If that's the case, I see little to no benefit. For starters, your filter will choke up(in that one spot) pretty quickly. So whatever benefit, if any, you would get wouldn't last that long. Second, you would insure any water sucked in from rain/condensation would settle in the filter media (the lower box is designed to drain water).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
If you want more air, use a hole saw and make an opening in the resonator and the cowl. Run a piece of shop-vac tubing from the resonator to the cowl. You will add air. I had this set up before switching to the full SVT. The proof it worked was the dirt in the filter by the resonator opening at the intake box. Another trick is to remove the large debris hump from the plastic radiator cover so cooler air from in front the radiator feeds the snorkle opening.
I tested IAT's (intake air temps) and the result was ambient air temps..as good as you're going to get. Before removing the large debris hump, intake air temps were significantly higher. Another, better solution to achieve this is to go with a euro grill and euro cold air feed radiator cover, which has the correct opening and a "hood" which directs the air into the snorkle. Ford actually made this part and they are found in Europe.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made me own little ream air thing to the snorkle. And honestly i dont have a problem cleaning it every month. But it would probably get old..

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made me own little ream air thing to the snorkle. And honestly i dont have a problem cleaning it every month. But it would probably get old.. But thats ok if its what gives me an adge.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sad thind is you wont out flow a stock zetec top with the svt lower half and snorkel, with a k,n filter in there. it was designed that way for a reason. oh and its part of the jrsc bbk so it can obviously move enough air for a supercharger. as for bogging, my car has none unless it gets above 90 degrees out. which is normal for a zetec. and usually having the ac on puts more load on the engine, reducing power by a noticable amount (the sluggishness) anyway i have my factory svt air setup on a normal zetec and have driven it in up to 3 feet of water without problems because it was able to drain it all out, and it has that little extra dealy off the side to draw air under the hood if necessary.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the stock intake is the best flowing one out there. I just wanted to try and give it a little extra push. I'll try to do this when i get my svt snorkle in from massive and if i think i gained any acceleration ill videotape a before and after and look at times on the video to make sure. As I am now I do a 0-105 in 23 flat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts