Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short ram intake is out of the question because of the hot summers here and CAI's are no good because we get rain, not snow, here in the winter. I know the Volant is available, I just don't want it.

So I thought of maybe something in between but even it still might not work. I like the K&N Apollo idea with the isolated filter. I like what christopher48197 did in this thread although for me I was thinking of something a little different: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152941&highlight=apollo

...I was thinking of having the filter shield end attach to the top part of my SVT snorkel (scoop, or whatever) using a 90deg elbow. I might try to even use part of the SVT tube since it's made of cotton or whatever. I would also use some straighter tubing going from the maf to throttle body. What do you think? Would I be placing the filter too close to the opening of the snorkel pushing too much water in?

Pics for reference:

and...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No offense and I am assuming that is your engine.

From the looks of it your will be barking up the wrong tree. It appears that you go through some large puddles and that water is splashing onto the engine quite frequently, all the rusty bolts and brackets show this.

I would say for reliability and safety, you're better off sticking with stock and just a K&N drop in panel.

$0.02

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ I agree 100%.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the responses so far.

1- this is not my engine, it belongs to the dude I referenced in the first post. I was using his pictures for people to get an idea of what I was thinking.
2- I already have the SVT intake w/ K&N panel filter. I'm just trying to find a better, more direct way for air to get in.
3- Yeah the Volant is an option but the way I see it, it's still a filter in a box with a snorkel tube running into it just like the stock box, so I don't see much of a difference.

I'll give it a try and see what happens

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
2- I already have the SVT intake w/ K&N panel filter. I'm just trying to find a better, more direct way for air to get in.
the SVT intake and the Volant intake are the 2 best flowing intakes for the zetec...with the svt you got the front mount snorkle that's right behind the grill and with the volant you can get the extension tube thingy that goes over by your fender (i think that's where it goes).....i say just stick with your svt setup

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slo1, yes! That's what I wanted to see. I think I'm going to put the battery where the stock air box is and then try to fit it all to attach to the snorkel. I'll start measuring to make sure I don't waste too much time on this.

Yeah I could keep the current setup but I'm just trying to do some small projects until I build up the money for suspension, new wheels...etc...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
the SVT intake and the Volant intake are the 2 best flowing intakes for the zetec...with the svt you got the front mount snorkle that's right behind the grill and with the volant you can get the extension tube thingy that goes over by your fender (i think that's where it goes).....i say just stick with your svt setup
and dyno test's that were run a few yrs ago stated that a svt intake with a k&n drop in, has the same hp gains throughout the powerband

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.