Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp, I've been trying to come up with some ideas on how to make my SRI get cooler air in all this heat. This is the only thing I've thought of so far, but I think it's feasible. It would depend on the amount of air flowing through the vents, of course. Anyway, here it is.

The blue part would have to be fiberglassed in to make a tunnel for the air, creating a ram-air hood... kinda sorta.

Anyone else thought of doing something like this? I'm not at all experienced in glassing and would like to know if this idea would work. I'm not sure if the air velocity would be enough to have an effect.

btw, sorry for the mspaint image. i'm bored at work. [:p]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
good idea, but it would be sooooo much easier to purchase a vent that's similar to Focus-Centrals Ram Air hood, and install that over, or in front of your SRI.

those vents can be found off ebay all day long...

But if you still want to go an experiement with fiberglass, then I would suggest making a flat section, or you can even purchase a flat panel of fiberglass at hardware stores, then cut it to shape, then use fiberglass tape, to seal and secure it to the hood.

if you've never done fiberglass, read up on the FAQs at tapplastics.com
http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Product Bulletin 3.pdf
http://www.tapplastics.com/aboutus/faq.php?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to work with what I have available as far as vents. 3 vents, one of which would be toward the glass and off center, would make the hood look very weird.

Do you think there would be enough velocity to have the wanted effect? It's kind of the same concept as a cowl hood, but the air has to go further.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
The vents on the hood of the APC are facing backwards, so your going to get very little 'air push' into the engine back from this. The vents on that particular hood dissipate the heat off the header though air flow (though the rad/grill area) upwards and out through the hood.

Basically you are NOT going to get the colder air your looking for with that particular hood as in for a SR1 performance application.

Get a hood that actually has a front facing scoop to draw in air though the vent and channel it to the intake and you'll be exactly where you want to be.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you'd need a increase in height (or drop) as you get closer to the hood.
(think air-flow dynamics... the front of the vent has much more volume, and it decreases as it get's closer to the engine, as your 2-D drawing implies...)

3-Dimensionally, the closer to the engine, a greater increase in height would be needed to accommodate the air-flow... or else you could have a bottleneck.

An off-center vent doesn't look so bad, as it actually serves a purpose. You could install another vent on the ajacent side, like the "cobra" style fiberglass hood offered for the focus.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
What is the 'GREEN' area on the picture, just a text box or another scoop?

Also the air intake would be on the LEFT, not the RIGHT side of the hood so it's actually 'backwards' in the drawing unless I'm not seeing something right.....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
S2 said:
The vents on the hood of the APC are facing backwards, so your going to get very little 'air push' into the engine back from this. The vents on that particular hood dissipate the heat off the header though air flow (though the rad/grill area) upwards and out through the hood.

Basically you are NOT going to get the colder air your looking for with that particular hood as in for a SR1 performance application.

Get a hood that actually has a front facing scoop to draw in air though the vent and channel it to the intake and you'll be exactly where you want to be.
Ah, you've made a good point...
But what about vacuum pressure, from the under the car... at high speeds?
Regardless of the direction of the vent, isn't it possible for the air to flow the other direction?

(Similar to cowl-induction, those suck in air, even though they face the rear of the car)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
S2 said:
Also the air intake would be on the LEFT, not the RIGHT side of the hood so it's actually 'backwards' in the drawing unless I'm not seeing something right.....
heh, I noticed that as well, but I didn't want to tell him, because he'd have to do the drawing all over again...

[n/m, It's cause we are looking at the bottom of the hood... ]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The green is where the intake filter would sit. **Pretend you're looking toward the engine with the hood up.** Should have stated that we're looking at the underside, but we're obviously not going to add that design on the outside to get more air to the intake... The air goes into the cowls at speed, which means it's going toward the header/engine.. so we'd have to do it on the underside.

But there are already 2 vents which I think can be used so.. hmm. I'll have to think of a way to increase velocity.

Maybe the fiberglassed part can made into equal lengths and deposit the air in places around the filter.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you'd have to find out whether or not that vent is sucking air or pushing air out of the engine...

cut two rectange pieces of paper, put tape on the top and bottom... and drive on the freeway and see whether the sides of the paper are being sucked to the grill mesh. That'll tell you if the vents flow enough air to make this project worth-while...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that's the kind of idea I like. I'll give that a try today after work. If it's pushed toward the vents then this idea might actually work.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about it and the air pressure generated around 20mph+ would be a LOT more than the air pressure underhood, therefore the paper would most likely hover above the vents..

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
Ah, you've made a good point...
But what about vacuum pressure, from the under the car... at high speeds?
Regardless of the direction of the vent, isn't it possible for the air to flow the other direction?

(Similar to cowl-induction, those suck in air, even though they face the rear of the car)
Yeah you are correct, I guess what I was taking as the question had to deal with 'rammed' air directly into the intake filter (or right to that region). It works both ways but better obviously with a scoop frontwards rather then backwards.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
you'd have to find out whether or not that vent is sucking air or pushing air out of the engine...

cut two rectange pieces of paper, put tape on the top and bottom... and drive on the freeway and see whether the sides of the paper are being sucked to the grill mesh. That'll tell you if the vents flow enough air to make this project worth-while...
Great idea!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Air pressure outside of the car is too great to make the paper go up or down. I'll have to test it from the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you could find a bug deflector, or make one yourself temporarily, it'll push the wind up higher, and might eliminate interference with the paper to observe if it Sucks to the vent, or flutters around...

just an idea... It's kinda hard to predict the outcome of this project.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I know what ya mean. What I think I'll do is get some double sided tape and attach it to the vents on the inside of the hood. Then I'll tape some cardboard between the hood and grille. If the tape attaches to anything else it'll mean that it's flowing decent air.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First test:

I taped pieces of shredded paper to the outside of the hood and drove. I should have thought about this more because there's no way it can work. There is too much air pressure on the outside of the car at speed to allow the paper to be pulled down into the vents. First test inconclusive.

Second test:

I put some doublesided tape on the underside of the vents. Very short pieces were used because the shorter pieces would be a little stiffer, making them harder to move. The idea behind this was to see which direction air was blowing through the vents. The tape went toward the windshield, so there is air going through the vents @ 35mph. Need to test this at higher speeds with longer pieces of tape to see if there will actually be enough air for the ram-air effect. So far, so good.

I'm now thinking that the air that's going in through the vents is helping to cool the engine, which should be left alone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts