Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife's radio is toast, constant snap, crackle, and pop, had to pull the radio fuse today to save her ears. I'm not buying a used factory radio just to have this happen again. We plan on keeping little Ms. Herky Jerky for another couple, maybe 3 years so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a bundle I found on Amazon...

$499 for;

-Pioneer AVH-501EX
-iDatalink KIT-FOC1 Dash Kit
-iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module
-BAA22 Antenna Adapter

Looks like a killer deal considering individually the HU is $250, dash kit is another $250, and the ADS-MRR is $130. The antenna adapter is pretty much a throw in.

She has the 6 speaker SYNC option, not the touch screen. Will this setup work well and is this everything I need to retain all functionality? Do I need any additional wiring harnesses? Install looks pretty cake once the factory system is pulled out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The iDatalink kit is supposed to be able to keep all of the features. I definitely understand frustration with the factory stereo not working though.

I've read that the kit does retain steering wheel controls, though, I'm not entirely sure how with the aftermarket head unit.

I'm dreading the possibility of this happening to mine. I already have a couple of head units that I quite like, and wouldn't mind using, but I am worried about keeping the factory features.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have it. Works pretty well. Was a little tough to program since I did not have a 32 bit windows pc and at didnt work with 64 bit. It is supposed to retain everything including sync. My sync doesnt work but the headunit I used has Carplay and the aftermarket bluetooth is way better than the Ford stuff so I never tried to figure out why. Backup sensors are also a little off, but I installed a camera so I dont need them anyway. Easy to install after programmed. Overall a huge improvement over factory.
1A999B99-3935-4506-BB82-6856DF39976C.jpg
6A885276-4703-4718-97F9-CA22E5459A4C.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. I'm sorry about this but I cant navigate this site to post a question. I'm in my fifties and probably too old! This is the closest to the question I want to ask. ..............I have a 2016 titanium focus that I put a Chinese aftermarket stereo in. I'm having problems with steering wheel controls working. Does any one know the colours of the cables that come from the audio controls on the steering wheel to the harness on back of where the original radio was and is it analogue or digital?

If this is posted in the wrong place, could someone please tell me how to put up a new post so that anyone can see it. Thank you, Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it. Works pretty well. Was a little tough to program since I did not have a 32 bit windows pc and at didnt work with 64 bit. It is supposed to retain everything including sync. My sync doesnt work but the headunit I used has Carplay and the aftermarket bluetooth is way better than the Ford stuff so I never tried to figure out why. Backup sensors are also a little off, but I installed a camera so I dont need them anyway. Easy to install after programmed. Overall a huge improvement over factory.
View attachment 259049
View attachment 259051
Easy install? Nothing else needed? Just want to make sure all the speakers continue to work. Losing the pillar tweeters would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Easy install? Nothing else needed? Just want to make sure all the speakers continue to work. Losing the pillar tweeters would be a deal breaker.
I thought it was pretty easy, just take your time and follow the directions. The hardest part was getting the headunit to line up with the bezel. Mine runs to an amp, but the way its made all of the factory speakers will work assuming you wire it correctly. The dash kit comes with the wiring harness, so you just need it, the Maestro box, and antenna adapter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So is it basically plug and play with the harness if you are not using an amp?
Once you use a computer to program he maestro module you just wire the included harness to your stereo and plug it all in. It took me longer to get the module programmed than to wire and install.

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK good to know. I have the pop issue going on. Trying to decide what to do. I want to drive the car for another year and then maybe get an F-150.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 89lxvert, I think I'm gonna give it a go in the near future once the weather warms up a bit so I can do it outside, my current garage isn't all that big or well lit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got this kit also, different radio. I was able to program the RR module by using internet explorer on windows 10 64bit, can't use chrome or edge. Didn't try any others. Once programmed i had to restart my computer the driver seems to mess up stuff.

I was able to get sync to work, I use the Sync line in everyday for a siriusxm radio. I only use the line in part of sync, the kenwood i got has android auto. sync sucks anyway.

The biggest disappointment is programming the steering wheel buttons, the buttons work but i want to be able to scroll through presets on the FM radio and I can't get that to work. it will only scan up or down in FM radio. I want a HOME button for the kenwood radio but no option for that. push and hold doesn't seem to work. I have removed the RR and tried reprogramming buttons which can be done but i need more options for 100 some bucks.

The dash kit is pretty nice. I like i can put my phone in the pocket now instead of in the cup holder. I got a 6" usb cable so the cable isn't all over the place. the pocket is angled nicely so the phone won't come flying out when taking off. The cover for the pocket is mostly useless, its really hard to close and then get back open. The lip when the usb ports are will ******g cut you if your not careful.

Loosing the 4" display is ideal to me, why would other kits keep it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts