Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im about to undertake an overhaul of my new focus' ICE. Ive purchased a REF7541A 4 ch amp and a set of KAPPA680.7CS speakers for noise. A sub will be added later once funds replenish themselves. I had a few questions maybe some of you could answer for me. Ive been reading the forums like mad trying to gain all the info I can.

Im a little hazy on the use of LOCs, never used one before because I had an aftermarket deck and EQ setup. I want to keep the stock stereo to maintain the lines inside, so Im thinking the LOC route is best.

Now... heres where I could use a little advice. Should I get the 2 or 4 ch LOC, and will I run the main speakers through it, or just the sub?

My idea was to run the front seperates off 2 channels of the amp, and bridge the other 2 for the eventual sub (how I had my last setup) and keep the rear speakers (a set of pioneer multi-elements) on deck power for the hell of it. Is this a dumb idea?

Also, real quick, Ive been reading the amp install section, and I was just curious what gauge wire most of you use for the power line from the battery post to the amp.

Thanks guys, love this place!

·
Registered
108 Posts
the gauge of power wire depends on how many watts your amp is going to be pulling. how much power does the amp say it will pull max?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Kappa speakers you bought, are they the older 4 ohm model or the newer 2 ohm model?
If they are the 4 ohm model, then you could run your front and rear speakers off of the front two channels of the amp (parallel the left front and rear together and the right front and rear together, this will give you a 2 ohm load and the infinity 4 channel can handle down to a 2 ohm load in stereo mode) and save the rear two for the sub, but make sure to get either a SVC 4 ohm sub or a Daul 2 ohm VC sub. If the speakers are the newer 2 ohm model then you'll have to stick to your original plan, the kappas on the amp and the pio's on the deck. As for as the LOC, until you get the sub you don't need 4 ch, the 2 ch will work, but you might as well use and run the 4 ch, that way you don't have to fuss with it again when you do ad the sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as the power wire, use 4 gauge. It is possible to get by with smaller wire, but the amp performs a lot better on 4 gauge, especially when it comes time to push the sub as well. Also, a capacitor will help clean up the power and help the amp run a little more efficiently.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Those are the 2 ohm speakers, so you'll use the front channels of the amp for them.

You'll need a 4ch LOC. It will use the front and rear speaker wires from the stock HU. 2ch will drive the front speakers, and 2ch will drive the rear channels of the amp bridged for when you get a sub. You'll adjust the sub level by fading from front to rear, and vice-versa.

You won't be able to use the rear speakers in this setup. No biggie.

Yeah, a 4ga power and ground wire will be fine for the single amp setup. If you plan to add another amp later, then go ahead and run a 1/0ga wire.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help fellas. Ive got a Navone NE-774V on the way and Ill be picking up a 4ga install kit from work once all this crap shows up on my door.

FocusInCali, I plan on setting up my tweeters like you did, thanks for posting that info. Any idea if the 05-06 a pillars come off the same as the rest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts