Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all. Which is the better transmission? For reliability that is, and which one is geared better?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, it highly depends on what motor you are using.

I know the G5M was used on ZX2's, so theoretically it could be adapted to a zetec powered Focus if you absolutely wanted to. But the MTX-75 is already a good trans, so I don't really see a need.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Lenko

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does ford use all three still? Why not just stick the mtx-75 in everything? The ib5 goes in the fiesta, the g5m goes in the fusion and I think the focus after '08. Does ford still use the the mtx-75?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MTX-75 is in all Focus models EXCEPT the SPI sedans that used the IB5, Zetec, Duratec, and the current Duratec TiVCT.

I hadn't been following the Fiesta's, Getrag's IB5 could be used there as a lighter trans that doesn't need to handle as much torque (guess) since it has only been used with lower output engines from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's what I remember from looking at some English sites earlier this year, when researching what lubricants were avail./recommended over there. They make the Six Speeds for the SVT & the ST's as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting. I wonder why ford doesn't just use the mtx for the fusion and escape too. I know that the g5m doesn't have reverse synchros. I thought the mtx was a beast of a box and the ib5 was kinda junk

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bigger vehicles, more torque on the trans..

MTX-75 is good in Focus size, only weak point is the diff. spider gears when used REAL hard - and by then many are using replacement differentials (limited slip) & that covers the problem. (third gear synchros seem to go after long abuse sometimes as well - odd as many trannies have that trouble in second)

Haven't seen a box yet that has synchros for reverse.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
^^^^

You only need synchros to go from one gear to another when the rpm is not a set mechanical value. Neither reverse nor first needs synchros. That's why if your engine is not idling right, you might have problems getting into either gear, and slight blip of the throttle will allow you to get into gear.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
mtx is a great trans.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought the mtx had double synchros for every gear and single for reverse? Thats why you have to pull up on the ring to put it in reverse.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No to both there, and the lockout is simply mechanical at the shifter mechanism.

Lockout isn't NEEDED, but it's nice to have. SAABs were notorious for weak lockouts, even in more recent years, and one bud of mine didn't want that fixed when I did the replacement shift mech at the tranny end he needed. Just removed the broken plastic bits at the shifter end so it would move smoothly & he was OK for a little while....

One day he decided to do a fast downshift & managed to jam it into reverse. The only lucky part is that ONLY reverse got broken, he sold it as a running car without reverse gear.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What are the ratios for the 2005-2007 5 sp. and the new 6 speed? Will the 6 sp. fit the 2005-2007 2L? A little higher speed, lower numbered overdrive would be useful for flat ground cruising at 75-85 mph.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
6 spd. from the new ST doesn't have a lower cruising RPM, no-one has confirmed it bolts up to the other engines, shifter is different for sure & the axles aren't likely to fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts