Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a small decent quality turbo (AirResearch, Turbonetics, Garret) I was thinking along the lines of a .50 or .63 trim t3/4 running 5psi of boost it seems that a turbo running the specs I just listed that is easily capable of running 15-20psi wouldn’t even struggle to run such low boost…..my theory is that this would keep the IAT temps very very low and save me from having to run a massive FMIC and I could get away with (don’t shoot me yet) running without an intercooler at all and just have the piping go straight into the TB…or i could run a small intercooler out of an audi s4 or similar but have the intercooler mounted in the area where the battery and stock air box goes. If the system was setup to run without an intercooler the battery would still be relocated to the back so I would have the piping running as close to the drivers side fender as possible and as far away from the motor as possible along with keeping the piping away from the motor I would have the air filter on the intake side of the turbo mounted down in the corner of the front bumper similar to where the filter mounts on a CAI just on the opposite side…..so imbedded in there is the question do you think this setup would work ok? 5psi is all I would ever run no more no less I have an auto tranny and would like to keep it in one piece but I would like to be a bit faster [thankyou]
I know there are foci out there running non intercooled because the focussport stage 1 turbo kit is non intercooled so It can be done and my other thought was I don’t think the IATs would hardly be any hotter than they are on a SRI which is just sucking in engine heat what do you think? Feel free to tear me apart on this one but I think it could work…….
The reason I’m wanting to setup my turbo system this way has a couple reasons….very short intake path so very small lag also its my daily and I would feel better running in winter without a FMIC

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Yes your IAT's will be high. Much hotter than a SRI.

The idea works it just isn't efficient. If your going to do it do it right and throw in the FMIC. It will decrease the chance of deto and your will see hp gains as well.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
a 50 trim t3/t4 isnt small at all. you wont like to much running 5psi out of it. 0-9psi is the slowest spooling area of that turbo but comes on like a frieght train after that.

for all its worth put the little extra time in and just do a small fmic that doesnt require any cutting. and for that low of boost just stick with something along the lines of the t3 super 60 or 28rs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts