Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background that may or may not be related-
2003 ford focus zx3 hatchback, 2L dohc, manual trany 105k miles, got new plugs about 3 mo ago, wires ohmed low so were not replaced at that time.

I had a fender bender. Got the hood, bumper and fan replaced.

2 weeks later I got a CEL with a P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor error.
The car was idling a little rough, and when it got cold out side (35ish degrees) the car would surge around 0-20mps @ 2k rmps much like you get when you let the clutch out to fast.
The lower the temp the worse the surging seems to be.
I have not taken it out on the highway after the first CEL due to not wanting to be stranded.

Replaced Cam sensor three days ago, and in the process stripped the bolt.

Being in a frustrated mood, and knowing it was just a bolt I had Sears auto swap it. (I know sears is to be feared, but I live in an apt and have limited tools/time. It was worth the $45 they charged that day)

Now when sears cleared the code (post cam shaft sensor replacement) for me the P0340 error stayed away. At that time they told me they saw a P0113 Intake Air Temp High error too.

I have never seen a P0113 error code from a CEL, but it is my best guess at the moment.

Just for S&Gs I unplugged the MAF and turned the car over. It ran like crap, but didn't show any CEL. That seemed odd to me.

I pulled the connector off the MAF (which I believe to contain the IAT on pins 1 and 6) and took a ohm reading. It was about 35F out, and I saw a reading of 80 while the meter was set to 200k. If my understanding is correct that would be 80k ohms. I can't find a listing of what the IAT should read at by temp for the focus, but most the listings for other cars seem to be in the 5-50k range.
Does anyone know what ohms I should be seeing? If those measurements sound right I would love suggestions

(I am suspecting post fender bender ghosts at this point, and am getting my chicken bones and grass skirt out for the voodoo to dispel the demons.)

I took some more measurements this morning. I am seeing 82k ohms on the IAT @ ~32F.
I started the card, and saw ~4v going in, and about .02v coming out. This seems a little on the low side to me, but I need a chart showing what I should expect.
I had the car off, connected the wires, and shook them and there was no noteworthy change in resistance. There doesn't seem to be a break in the wires that I can tell at the moment.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Best thing to do is find a local member with a xcal and do a quick datalog of the IAT and check your STFT1 as well

This will tell you 100% what the issues are , if you want to send me a datalog I will be glad to look it over

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgive my ignorance, but what is an xcal? I am in Bellevue WA (about 20 min from Seattle WA) Is there a way to find members in the area? Thanks for any help. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I saw that RockAuto had the Motorcraft Mass Air Flow Sensor for shipped $75 so I decided to get one as that was $60 less than autozone. I don't know that is the problem, but as the current one has 100k+ miles I don't see it doing any harm.

If anyone else has any other ideas I would love to hear them, and you can be my new best friend if you help me nail this bugger down. [cheers]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts