Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man i feel so stupid. I just broke a bolt on my valve cover. Dont ask how it happened. Anyway half of the bolt is stuck in the block. I tried getting it out with the other part of the bolt and see if it hooked it somehow, but that didn't work. Tomorrow i will go and buy some bolt extractor bits. Do you guys have any suggestions, other then that i have to be real careful doing it cause i dont wanna mess up the thread on my block.

Thanks for any help

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
My be use a flathead screwdriver and a mallet and put a notch in it so you could just unscrew it like well...a screw would. some pic would be nice.. is it in the thread..or snap off just the head? ya pics would be good. and acualy it mite just be cheaper to ruin the threads and then re tap them then to try to get an extractoe set. I sue those at work and they are not cheep TFS (thats fo sho).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Try drilling the bolt with a small drill bit to get an extractor to grip it and get it out if it's broken off in the threads if part of it sticks out I would take a small pair of vise grips and get it out that way but like the_07ninja said pics would help.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be able to get pics tomorrow i had to leave my car at my buddies place cause i didn't wanna drive it with that bolt missing.
The bolt didn't break below the threat it broke right where the threat starts so its pretty much level with the block surface, cant get it with pliers.
I will try the hammering in of a screw driver tomorrow and see if that works, if not I can get an extractor set, and after I am done using it I can refund it.
Thanks for u guys help though, some good info.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
i'd say put a slot in it, if a dremel will fit, use that or use one of those extension thingies and put a slot in it then just use a flathead screw driver =)

·
Registered
48 Posts
id say get a hacksaw and cut a slot in the top, then just get a large flathead screwdriver with lots of torque and unscrew it :)

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
get a bolt extractor...the slotted bolt and screwdriver method doesnt work well most times. especially since you can get more torque out of a ratchet than a frickin screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yeah just get an extractor and save the headache and do it right it really isn't that hard to get most broken bolts out even more so with the valve cover bolts since they are sitting flat and in a easy spot to get to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Use a reverse drill bit when you drill the hole for the extractor. Must times if the threads are free of rust, the bit will bite in and remove the broken bolt. ( most times anyway )

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you havnt already use the bolt extractor...

i had the same exact problem on like the same day!

used a bolt extractor kit i got at lowes hardware...(pretty cheap)

punched a divet into the screw, drilled a hold (w/ recommended size), and used the bolt extractor...it literally came right out...soo easy...

(oh btw i had to use a little tool for the bolt extractor (not the drill) i think it is normally used for a tap and die set)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts