Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So i put the IAC on my car from the U-pull-it, put some gasket seal around it and put the car back together and replaced my vacuum lines. I turned on the car and it ran amazing! Everything ran the way it should and idled properly. Then I realized, I had forgot to connect the wire. Does that indicate that the IAC is working or that it's broken? I forget if it is when the RPM's dont change when you disconnect it that it's bad. Because my car runs awesome now with the new IAC but it's not connected. I'm afraid to reconnect it and my problems will come back! thanks guys! [ffrocks]

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
It sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If you disconnect the wire it would start but not keep running without stepping on the gas a little. With the iac disconnected your idle won't be right with the a/c on or a heavy load on the electrical system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh okay so THATS why i adjust my idle speed set screw up and it worked really well. Is it bad to run without it connected? also if it's a vac leak when am I getting a CEL for the IAC? p1506

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
Did you replace the iac originally because you had a cel? If so you need to clear the code. Not having it plugged in will give you a cel also. Increasing the base idle with the screw will help but the idle is going to drop too low with the a/c on or heavy electrical loads.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
oh okay so THATS why i adjust my idle speed set screw up and it worked really well. Is it bad to run without it connected? also if it's a vac leak when am I getting a CEL for the IAC? p1506
Dude you're in a world of hurt now. We don't have an idle speed set screw. The computer will learn what you did and adjust it. Basically that screw is to keep the TB Butterfly from closing all the way. If you have looked down your intake manifold, you would have noticed a hole off to the drivers side and that's where the air goes when your car is at idle. You could adjust that screw all day long and after a few trips, the car will learn and adjust for it.

You have some air leak somewhere. Did you recently change your Throttle Body or Intake Manifold? That's where i had all my problems. I actually had to use gasket stuff and put it around where my TB mounts to my Intake Manifold. Has solved the issue for over a year. I was at my wits end. Till i took it over to a friends house and had him look at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to know who's the contortionist that designed where the IAC sits? My guess is he never had to change one. It takes Houdini!

My arms can't fit. I had to wait for my son to come home from the Air Force. I still can't figure out how he did it?

Taking the old one off at the junk yard was easy. Just had my 6'9"/ 330 lb high schooler take a hammer to the plastic intake manifold...........

Changing it on MY car was a different story....

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
You can get to the drivers side from the top. You have to remove part of the intake to do reach and when you can, you can only move like an 1/8 of a turn at a time. Ratchet Wrenches are your friends! The passenger side you have to attack from the bottom. Again, only moving an 1/8th of a turn at a time. Getting the old one out is the easy part. Getting them in and lining up the holes is another thing but it can be done!

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
if my car is running and I unplug it....it starts lopping like it has cams and pretty much wants to die..

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Yup that means the IACV is working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can get to the drivers side from the top. You have to remove part of the intake to do reach and when you can, you can only move like an 1/8 of a turn at a time. Ratchet Wrenches are your friends! The passenger side you have to attack from the bottom. Again, only moving an 1/8th of a turn at a time. Getting the old one out is the easy part. Getting them in and lining up the holes is another thing but it can be done!

On my 2003 Zeetec engine the bolts are on top and bottom, not side and side. Now way in the world can you get it from on top. To get it from the top, driver's side, you'd have to take out the battery, the aircleaner, the fuel regulator and steel lines (or whatever that regulator in the EPA stuff is-- it's got at least two steel lines.....)

From the bottom, passenger side, both my son and I had to take off the oil filter. He (6'2"/ 210-- my Smallest kid; the other boys are at least 6'7") fit under the IAC and somehow fit a 1/4" wrachet up thru the axle, starter, and "fingered" it.....I could see part of the wrench moving from above; the IAC is Directly below the Throttle Body.......

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
On my 2003 Zeetec engine the bolts are on top and bottom, not side and side. Now way in the world can you get it from on top. To get it from the top, driver's side, you'd have to take out the battery, the aircleaner, the fuel regulator and steel lines (or whatever that regulator in the EPA stuff is-- it's got at least two steel lines.....)

From the bottom, passenger side, both my son and I had to take off the oil filter. He (6'2"/ 210-- my Smallest kid; the other boys are at least 6'7") fit under the IAC and somehow fit a 1/4" wrachet up thru the axle, starter, and "fingered" it.....I could see part of the wrench moving from above; the IAC is Directly below the Throttle Body.......
You're prolly right on the drivers side and passenger side. It's been about 2 years since i've messed with it. Put it is possible to do so. Your size is the biggest factor. I believe it's a 8mm. I just disconnected my intake tube and removed it from engine bay and i have access to the top bolt. Again, your size may be your biggest factor. Taking the IM out isn't easy either. I believe it took me close to 8 hours to get everything out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts