Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too bad America doesn't have awesome Foci running around as police vehicles like most other countries have [:(]

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
That Focus wouldn't be able to catch my bike, so I wouldn't even be concerned.
Dont be so sure lol. On a really tight windy road, the ST will have no troubles keeping up with a bike. Especially a 1000cc (which really arent as nimble as a 600).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dont be so sure lol. On a really tight windy road, the ST will have no troubles keeping up with a bike. Especially a 1000cc (which really arent as nimble as a 600).
I doubt that st would be able to stay in its own lane. Like most cars, it would be all over the place trying to keep up. Keep it in sight, ok, no troubles, that's a stretch.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe if you're a stoplight to stoplight or a Starbucks to Starbucks rider. However, I run extremely quick through the mountains when I go and A group at track days. Not even a problem

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Maybe if you're a stoplight to stoplight or a Starbucks to Starbucks rider. However, I run extremely quick through the mountains when I go and A group at track days. Not even a problem
You are a pretty rare rider if you are A group, but that still ignores some simple facts of physics. I ride alot too, and I can tell you that car's do hold certain advantages in a tight/technical environment where bikes (especially bigger/heaver ones) can be a bit clunky.

Im not saying its impossible, but if the car driver knows what he/she is doing, you're going to have a hard time outrunning them. Especially if it's like most windy/tight roads with dirt on every other corner and blind turns every 50 feet.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
That Focus wouldn't be able to catch my bike, so I wouldn't even be concerned.

When you want to test that theory you let me know. Late Summer/early Autumn, Road America --> http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/675206-g2g-ra-late-summer.html

·
Registered
763 Posts
Somewhat off topic but never seen a bike that can out run a helicopter
I have seen a YouTube video of a bike that was running in excess of 180 and pulling out of sight of the chasing copter. After several mins (like 10 or so), they called off pursuit. They couldn't even get support in front of the suspect using radio calls.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Most police helicopters i have encountered are bell 429s, which have a top speed of roughly 175mph

The really cheap police stations use R44s, which can still manage 155ish.

The problem is that the helicopter has no obsticles, and they have a very long range of vision due to being up in the air. Even should a bike have the capability of outrunning the helicopter in a straight line, the chances of them finding those conditions are all but none. Consider that the helicopters have FLIR, and this nifty contraption called a "radio", you wont be able to get away that easily.

Side note, there have been cases where they "lost" a motorcycle rider. 99% of these cases were because the police force made the choice that pursuing the rider was causing greater chances of an accident/death.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I should have qualified it by stating that if it was just the ST he wouldn't have a chance. He still wouldn't catch me if he had a radio and helicopter. Would be one of his friends that got me.

Yes it's more common to call off the chase. I passed a cop going the other way on my bike a couple years ago doing 120mph in a 45 zone. I was at tge apex with my knee on the ground when i saw him. Let off for a second, then just got on it. 160 by the next corner, 115 through the corner. He didnt even try. He might have called his buddies, but they didn't catch me either. I doubt he even made the call. DISCLAIMER; this was a 4 lane devided highway with no intersections, traffic, or sidewalks.
When you want to test that theory you let me know. Late Summer/early Autumn, Road America --> http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/675206-g2g-ra-late-summer.html
Never heard of a public track day that would mix cars and bikes at the same time. Not exactly safe.

It's also too far away for me and I'm broke. Couldn't afford new DOTs if i wanted to right now. I would love to though. I have never ridden RA. My bike is down at the,moment with a headgasket. Needs fixing,I'm going through withdrawals.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You are a pretty rare rider if you are A group, but that still ignores some simple facts of physics. I ride alot too, and I can tell you that car's do hold certain advantages in a tight/technical environment where bikes (especially bigger/heaver ones) can be a bit clunky.

Im not saying its impossible, but if the car driver knows what he/she is doing, you're going to have a hard time outrunning them. Especially if it's like most windy/tight roads with dirt on every other corner and blind turns every 50 feet.
It depends on the car,a Focus ST is not the car that will keep up with a bike. Assuming rider/driver of equal skill you need something on the order of a 911 GT3 to keep up with a stock liter bike in corners.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I should have qualified it by stating that if it was just the ST he wouldn't have a chance. He still wouldn't catch me if he had a radio and helicopter. Would be one of his friends that got me.

Yes it's more common to call off the chase. I passed a cop going the other way on my bike a couple years ago doing 120mph in a 45 zone. I was at tge apex with my knee on the ground when i saw him. Let off for a second, then just got on it. 160 by the next corner, 115 through the corner. He didnt even try. He might have called his buddies, but they didn't catch me either. I doubt he even made the call. DISCLAIMER; this was a 4 lane devided highway with no intersections, traffic, or sidewalks.

Never heard of a public track day that would mix cars and bikes at the same time. Not exactly safe.

It's also too far away for me and I'm broke. Couldn't afford new DOTs if i wanted to right now. I would love to though. I have never ridden RA. My bike is down at the,moment with a headgasket. Needs fixing,I'm going through withdrawals.

Your bike[pray] Total awesomesauce!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts