Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just previously purchased a 2000 zx3 with 110000 miles on it its a five speed it is lowered exhaust and intake. i want to make it quicker i asked around and many people have said it has to many miles on it to supercharge it or turbo it. i had someone tell me to bore it out? if you could help me out here thanks [ffrocks]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
never too many miles, just depends on how good of codition the motor is in!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
SPEND A LITTLE MONEY
rebuild the engine with rod, cran shaft... piston and ring, all the bearings...
resurface the head and do the valve and springs...
then you have a new car!!
then you can do whatever you want and put out more power than you could...

·
Registered
275 Posts
lol buy a whole nother engine for how much your gonna spend doing what executionerhk said? a used one in better condition?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Or SVT motor, if you could find one. PM bestthaticould, he did an SVt swap and could give you a rough idea on how much it costs

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Anyway you look at it, it won't be cheap. A supercharger kit is probably the easiest way to make instant HP. Like anything, it will eventually stress parts of any stock motor (high or low miles). Expect to rebuild the motor and at a minimum budget for good pistons, connecting rods, bearings, and possibly a crank. You'll also need sooner or later, a performance clutch, engine mounts, and a limited slip diff to put that new found power to the road. Also set aside money for new tires and brake improvements. Its a big investment and its wise not to cheap out.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Throw a 100 shot on it and run it until it grenades. The water jackets are too close to the cylinder walls to make boring of any use expect for when you cylinders are crap and need a bit of freshening up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can find SVT swaps occasionally, that would put you at a HP starting point above the HP range of where $1000+ into a Zetec would put you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Throw a 100 shot on it and run it until it grenades. The water jackets are too close to the cylinder walls to make boring of any use expect for when you cylinders are crap and need a bit of freshening up.
Dollar for dollar, nitrous is the cheapest way to go quick. IMO, this sounds like the best option. If you have the skills to rebuild, then you will save a whole lot on a rebuild if it's needed. Of course, nothing like throwing in a 5.0 for too much HP potential... [thumb]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Nitrous is great for straight line power but its not very practical (too many limitations) for all around performance. For example, its pretty much useless on a autocross course or on a road course/track.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I can get you a killer deal on a new Jackson Racing kit with the BBK kit. PM me if youre interested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Engine swap is really going to be the easiest choice. I know no one will agree with me on this one but I'll throw it out there: Go buy yourself an engine stand and a blown engine. Start reading about what you want to do and how to do it, then (and this is key) JUST DO IT!

I know it sounds like a lot to trust yourself to finish, it's not. If you can build a Lego set and read a book, you'll be able to build an engine and put it in your Focus.

Plus, you'll get to understand the feeling of "Oh my god it turned over"

That's a great feeling :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine swap is really going to be the easiest choice. I know no one will agree with me on this one but I'll throw it out there: Go buy yourself an engine stand and a blown engine. Start reading about what you want to do and how to do it, then (and this is key) JUST DO IT!

I know it sounds like a lot to trust yourself to finish, it's not. If you can build a Lego set and read a book, you'll be able to build an engine and put it in your Focus.

Lol. Too bad building a Lego set doesn't involve raw hands and 100's of hours of work ;/

But I do agree, engine swap to a 2.3 and if you have enough $$$ do forced induction. If you don't want to turn over the engine I suggest focusing on suspension.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

^^^ problem with that is if you dont have the tools/ know how to do it correctly and you blow up all those nice shiny parts you put in there. Inexperience can be expensive...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Inexperience can be expensive...
Couldnt agree more.
At least have someone around or talk to you on the phone or what not on how to do it correctly. Dont solely rely on book. Especially if its putting together a STOCK engine...

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
i remember completely stripping down 3 horsepower briggs motors in 6th grade to nothing, then putting them back together, felt great when it fired up... my friend and i got so good at it we could rip it down and put it back together in less than 8 minutes in shop class, valves and all... too bad a zetec'snot that simple.

·
Registered
38 Posts
lol or you overtorque some of the bearings and understand the feeling of "oh my God it doesn't even turn over"
Hey that's a good point no one should ever do anything.

They might mess it up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts