Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to turbo my zetec. Nothing too serious. What do I need, and how cheep can I get realistically without beeing stupid? Or what about cams for more power, those may be my best bet.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You'll be looking at a minimum of $3000 for a new turbo kit, unless you find one used. And that's not counting installation and tuning costs. FI isn't cheap by any means, I'd say expect to spend a minimum of $3500.

·
Registered
789 Posts
installation you can do yourself if you know your way around the engine and how to use hand tools. me and my buddy put his turbo kit on in 4 hrs. you could also look at a roush stage 2 turbo kit, comes with everything you need to install and adjust. i think it's like 3200 and it shouldn't be too hard to install. then to tune it i would say it will be about another 300.
check out this site http://www.turbo-kits.com/focus_turbo_kits.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may want to look at upgrading some of your drivetrain first, otherwise a stock engine will not be able to handle the turbo and you'll end up wearing out your engine very quickly....

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
CB4 said:
You may want to look at upgrading some of your drivetrain first, otherwise a stock engine will not be able to handle the turbo and you'll end up wearing out your engine very quickly....
Properly tuned, the Zetec is capable of handling up to 11 PSI (intercooled) in stock form.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
if you want some serious power turbo is the way to go. There's a lot of awesome turbo kits for the focus or you can custom make one on your own. just check out the specs of the turbo kit and get the parts.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I just wouldn't go crazy with it. Sure, its nice to be able to say "I have a 300+ WHP Focus," but what good is all that power when you're spinning your tires into fourth gear? A modest turbo setup yielding around 200 WHP is about all you need on a compact, anything else is just for bragging.

Oh, and if you're serious about a turbo you may also want to consider a LSD and stronger clutch, a major increase in power will waste the stock clutch and you don't want to be on an open differential with that much power.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you could buy one used off the forum but i suggest buying all the stuff used EXCEPT the actual turbo. most used turbos you have to rebuild if you buy used

1 - 10 of 10 Posts