Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a light tonight with a friend of mine and we were about to go our separate ways but when the light turned green blah blah blah... we played with eachother just in first gear and like a second in in 2nd gear. He has something like a 1980 S-10 with an exhaust leak and a rod knock... and when we kinda ran eachother he was KEEPING UP. I am worried now thinking there is something wrong with my car becuase a STOCK S-10 with an exhaust leak and a rod knock kept up with me... and I have an intake and exhaust already. Is there something I could check... I am noticing no problems whatsoever with my car rather than it being slower than dirt, and my last car with an intake and exhaust was a 2.3L and it was an auto and he could never keep up... please help me out here.

I can't take it in to the dealer saying that when I have the pedal to the floor racing my friend it seems like it goes slow.

Any help is greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
454 Posts
the question is, how are your driving skills?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
yeah..wtf?

·
2,272 Posts
well you could run me. You should be able to keep up if your car is ok. If you are losing toa stock s10 then there is something wrong.

·
Registered
859 Posts
SD_Focus said:
well you could run me. You should be able to keep up if your car is ok. If you are losing toa stock s10 then there is something wrong.
That's an excellent idea SD! I can't think of a better way for Sharon to know for sure how her ST is really running.

Offers like yours are what make FF such a great place!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Funny guys!

But really ...

Logically, this is what you have to do:

-Check & doublecheck ALL your mods (starting from the most recent one)
-Review the events up to and including the day of your race (i.e., Did you just get fueled up? Did you drive your vehicle any differently than normal? Did you hear/notice anything unusual in the vehicle other than the apparent "slowness" etc.)
-Has the feeling of "slowness" persisted?

And finally ...

-Seeing all the mods that you have done, you could buy an Xcal and throw some different calibrations at your car (running lean? running rich?)

-Take it to the drags to verify performance numbers (not necessarily E.T., but the Mph - Mph will tell you how much Hp you're making).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
trucks also have a good first gear and bad second+ gears.. when trucks race me they are always right there with me until mid 2nd gear... same with SUV's
thats just how they are geared.. i say dont worry, race him again thru 2nd, then you will feel better

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... ok thats what my friend in the S-10 said today when I was asked him WTF??? He said that all trucks and SUV's have a great first gear... he said we'll race through second and see how far ahead I get... [:D]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ripped ST 151 said:
the question is, how are your driving skills?
Not bad... I am not the best driver but I don't grind gears and drive like shit... I don't shift fast either not on my stock clutch... but I peel out all the time so I don't think there is much of a difference there...LOL

·
Registered
454 Posts
why don't you shift fast? it helps alot actually :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
sharon5384 said:
... when we kinda ran eachother he was KEEPING UP.

... my last car with an intake and exhaust was a 2.3L and it was an auto and he could never keep up...
The scenario you present us doesn't make any sense.

You make the statement that you raced this SAME vehicle before with a 2.3 auto and that "he could never keep up". but now he can.

This is not possible with a properly running 2.3 ST. An auto 2.3 is easily a 1/2 a sec. slower than a 5-speed ST.

Refer to my earlier post to reference your problem.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ripped ST 151 said:
why don't you shift fast? it helps alot actually :)
I would never race without powershifting at least the 1/2 and the 3/4 shift (and the 2/3 with an STS).

That's how I had learned to shift, and that's how I shifted when I drag raced at my local track at Lebanon Valley Dragway.

Powershifting has become second nature to me now, and I would really have to think hard NOT to powershift in a race.

A lesson for everybody out there:

If you're gonna drive a performance car - then learn how to shift.

·
Registered
184 Posts
next time turn off your TC [:D] and dump the clutch at 2500 j/k but it would work....check everything under the hood and if you have a cai look at the filter could be very dirty other than that look at the plugs you never know.i have never been beaten by an s-10 unless he has shoehorned a v-8 in there and i can't tell over my exhaust that he has a v-8 which happened to me before guy pulls up in this Sh!t box rust bucket and smokes me with a 350ci and 150 shot of the Nitrous it sucked [mecry] but he was cool let me check out his setup later and let me tell you he had more in filling the bottle than in buying the truck if that tells you what the s10 looked like

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Checked your coolant level? It shouldn't be low, but might be worth checking. Follow my logic here, if you're low on coolant for whatever reason, then the engine will have some hot spots in the head, these hot spots can lead to pinging- even with high octane fuel. If the knock sensor registers a ping, then your timing is retarded, and the engine produces less power- but no pinging. That's one really wacko thought, and I'd say it's unlikely that it's your problem.

More notable is that with any vehicle there is a right place and wrong place to shift. The engine redline is not always the best place to shift. Stock Duratecs don't make much power past 6500, and there's really not a lot of hp difference between 6k and 6500. The auto trans shifted much sooner than the redline of the engine unless it was "tuned". I'd say give it a go at shifting more around 6k, and see if you leave him like you used to.

FYI: There is no better transmission for drag/ bracket racing than an automatic. ET's are more consistent, fewer wear issues & maintenance, and race auto transmissions can handle more power than standards. Power loss through the torque converter action used to be an issue, but newer smaller torque converters cause less power loss. As far as economy, once the torque converter locks up at a constant speed- there's no difference aside of gearing between an ATX and MTX- in fact, most Foci get around the same economy regardless of the transmission. In order to get better economy with a standard- you must drive like your grandfather around town.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Sharon said she used to have a 2.3 auto, and would smoke her friend in the truck. Now she is having trouble getting distance on him since she switched to a stick.

ummmmmm.... I didn't mix this up with another thread did I???? [confused]

·
Registered
184 Posts
my GF has a 2002 mercury cougar with the 6 in it auto aem short ram and carbon fiber hood(as if it matters anyways) but she is setting here and makes me state it but in a race i stay right with her in my st

1 - 20 of 30 Posts